Swa 2003

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hopeful

I heard last night from a good source that SWA is poised to hire 500+ this year and up to 900 the next two years if UAL falls. I sure hope UAL can pull it out for their employees sake, but wow. Can you imagine. Thats 2300 pilots in the next 3 years.:)

what are the chances?

I don't know alot about the UAL bankruptcy. What are the chances that they will not meet their deadline and have to shut down the entire operation? Is this realistic?

2002 losses...

Read somewhere that UAL will post a loss of $35+ PER share for 2002....

Regardless IF they survive or not,( I hope they do for all of my UAL buddies) chances are pretty good that they will be MUCH less competitive due to the massive amount of layoffs, planes parked (to be parked) IF the restructuring is approved.

Growth @ SWA is possible. Probably a good time for ALL LCCs to grow.... seems that it is the biz model that will become (has become?) the future of (at least) the domestic market.

Watch for the NEW financial catastrophe in 2003 - Pension Fund Fraud and/or underfunding problems. Expect class action suits against investment management firms and actuaries as companies attempt to weasle out of payments and/or obligations.

As with tax reform in 1986.... more burden will be placed on the WORKER to fund his/her own retirement plan as pensions (read A PLANS) quickly become a thing of the past..... the Bills are already in commitee for reform, believe it that corporate America wants these reforms to pass, watch who you vote for in 2 years..... the handwriting is on the walls - why do you think they have already voted FOR, and passed, increased contributions to 401ks/SEPs/SIMPLEs/IRAs etc. ??

Unlike some, I don't pretend to be able to predict the future, just MY opnion that there are some pretty drastic changes coming our way in the airline industry.... don't count on many more bailouts... those who survive are going to have to make money, NOT lose money!!!

Tred

With passenger loads the way they are right now, I wouldn't expect any airline to run out and expand anytime soon, regardless of what happens at UAL. If there were lots of people flying, we wouldn't be in this position.

You can expect SW to be VERY conservative. That is they way it has always been here, as I am told.

Of course I wish it were true too...

xpress1

The buzz is there but fortunately SWA doesn't always follow the buzz. As an experienced Capt told me recently SWA doesn't react negatively or positively to what other airlines do. They stick with their business plan & implement it accordingly. What being conservative with one's money does allow is the opportunity to make the rare move that is unexpected, i.e. move into MDW when Midway folded. SWA was much younger then, smaller & nimble with different economic times.

What will we do if UAL does fold? I suspect they already have a plan in place for this contingency. I don't believe they would risk our future on an uncalculated move but I'm sure they will make sound management decisions, which in these economic times is rather comforting. Speculating on whether they move right or left isn't so much the issue as that they will be moving forward one way or the other. Good news for current employees & future ones also. Cheers,

Latest resources

Back