• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SW - charged $50 to check snowboard

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For jumpseaters? That is what we are talking about here Red. Obviously your airline doesn't charge enough for bags, they are probably going to come after you guys next, you'll make a deal to keep your pay inexchange for RJs flown by SKW or someone else. Again, for jumpseaters, I think snowboards are probably free for us if you can get it to the gate. I think most of our planes have closets for 1st class, or bigger cockpits to store extra large bags. Looks like that probably won't happen for you. You still lose Red, still.....

Bye Bye---General Lee

Nice Dodge General.

You want to focus on the Jumpseat issue or the difference in fees. You choose. I'll debate either.

I believe Delta and Southwest would both try to help jumpseaters if able. No question on either in my mind.

How about those golf bag fees? Care to answer that one for me, or another dodge?

I think it's laughable that you bring up some domestic codeshare/outsourcing in our house when it's completely not allowed. Coming from a guy that's allowed almost a THOUSAND outsourced airframes in the past? That's almost TWICE the airframes that Southwest and Airtran have COMBINED.

Now you have guys flying your passengers in planes that are as large as mainline DC9s. For you to say the new scope is a win is crazy, but it does fit with your personality. Enjoy your 'win' when your taxing behind those large RJs. Haha.

what?

The intent for jumpseat is for all of us to get to and from work. It is not designed for vacation travel nor should it be. Thats what ID90 ZED ETC. is for.
Last time I checked snowboards aren't a normal part of commuting luggage. Be careful what you complain about or we all could lose the privilege.

Some finance guy on CNBC today was talking about this subject. He said "if it wasn't for the bag fees DAL would be in the red. Hmmmmmm

Some finance guy on CNBC today was talking about this subject. He said "if it wasn't for the bag fees DAL would be in the red. Hmmmmmm

And you guys can't figure out that fees help the industry? DL made $2.5 billion last year in ancillary fees. SWA made $1.1 billion, mostly with help from AT's bag fees. So I have a question: "Does GK want to make $2.5 billion from fees before or after they ask you for givebacks?" Who cares where DL is making the profits, the key is THEY ARE....during high gas prices and a down economy. What will happen when things get better due to continued consolidation? Hmmmmmmm.

Bye Bye---General Lee

The intent for jumpseat is for all of us to get to and from work. It is not designed for vacation travel nor should it be. Thats what ID90 ZED ETC. is for.
Last time I checked snowboards aren't a normal part of commuting luggage. Be careful what you complain about or we all could lose the privilege.

Huh? Ummm, it is a right given to pilots, not only a commuting tool. Are you the commander of the jumpseat police? Most good airlines have 3 different "windows" to attain a jumpseat with different days out from travel. They are "to work", then "from work", then "personal travel." I've seen people bring snorkeling gear on the way to Aruba. Don't be a Debbie Downer.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
I'll start telling that to all the SWA pilots that jump on us to/from Hawaii. I'll also tell them it came from a SWA Captain so sorry, it's not my airline's policy, it's theirs.

Nice Dodge General.

You want to focus on the Jumpseat issue or the difference in fees. You choose. I'll debate either.

I believe Delta and Southwest would both try to help jumpseaters if able. No question on either in my mind.

How about those golf bag fees? Care to answer that one for me, or another dodge?

I think it's laughable that you bring up some domestic codeshare/outsourcing in our house when it's completely not allowed. Coming from a guy that's allowed almost a THOUSAND outsourced airframes in the past? That's almost TWICE the airframes that Southwest and Airtran have COMBINED.

Now you have guys flying your passengers in planes that are as large as mainline DC9s. For you to say the new scope is a win is crazy, but it does fit with your personality. Enjoy your 'win' when your taxing behind those large RJs. Haha.

Talk about a dodge Red, he said a snowboard, not golf clubs. You aren't focusing on the thread. A golf bag might be tough to put in the overhead bin, and especially your 737 cockpit. Focus Red, FOCUS....

If you want to debate fees, then let's wait a bit until GK starts asking you for givebacks. I bet at that point you will have an epiphany, and suddenly think fees are the answer to sustaining profits and higher wages, which we all deserve......

Bye Bye---General Lee

Yikes, I've been abusing the jumpseat privilege for my whole career!

I hope most SWA Capts AREN'T like that guy.....Wow.... Talk about wound up tight. Sheesh. Next thing he'll say is "you can't read on the toilet son, it's only there for poopin! If you want to read, go sit on a porch at your ranch half way between Midland and Lubbock...."

Yikes is right...

Bye Bye---General Lee

Latest resources

Back