• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Herkdvr

C-130 Pilot
Dudes,
Anyone heard the rumor about stop loss coming back on 1 Nov 02? I heard this rumor was going around over in SWA. Anyone have any facts to back this up?

AFPC says no

Talked to AFPC about this last week. Nothing official and ntohing being drafted (I'm told). Of course, watch the evening news and signs point to something else. Now that Bush has Congressional approval to move forward, I certainly see a showdown occuring before the end of the year. After all, the Euphrates is filling up and fog will be creeping in soon. Perfect for GPS bombs.

Operation Deny Christmas 2002 cometh...

Gents, what happened last time to pilots on terminal leave or permissive TDY/terminal leave when stoploss was invoked? My retirement date is 1 Dec. I have a 'final-out' the end of the month and plan to start permissive TDY followed by terminal leave on 1 Nov. I have an airline training class starting the first week in Nov. Any words??? :eek:

There is no escape

If it's like last time, NOBODY escaped. Even those being involuntarily separated due to promotion were affected. I have a Lt Col friend who was on terminal leave. He was pulled back on active duty, "forced" to pin on his rank of O-6 Colonel that he was awarded before he put in his papers, and then shipped off to Guam to run the C-5 Stage. He ended up getting out when they lifted stop-loss last time, as a O-5 (because he didn't want to stay on active duty for 2 years to retire as O-6.

My last date is 31 Dec. I don't know if I'm going to get there though, with Bush winning the support he needs. In as much as I'd like the $$ in these lean times, and help kick Saddam's BUTT, I think I'd rather get out now before I get shipped out AGAIN.

The last 2 times the big catch was whether or not your household goods had been shipped. If they are gone by the date Stop Loss starts, you're golden. Check the conditions of the original message from last year to be sure (it was on the AFPC website). I know folks who came up short (so to speak) and some who just made it. Good luck, I had 9 extra months of AD from the last one!

Dirty

You're exactly correct Dirty..if you've moved your HHG...you were golden. Of course, you all have been in the Military long enough to know that nothing is ever the same, and the rules to the game change all the time. BUT...best bet would be to get those orders in hand, schedule a TMO appointment and MOVE SOMETHING SOMEWHERE ASAP. Doesn't have to be every possession you have--partial DITY or Unaccompanied Baggage..you know the drill. I'm in the precisely the same sit. as H82Bl8T (except for the class date..I'm wrinkled in the SWA pool). But I've moved the HHGs and the whole fam-damley to KC from Nellis. Just hangin out now waiting for Terminal/Permissive TDY to start 1 Nov.

Almost there...

Thanks for the clarification. If your separation date has come, but you've opted to have good shipped up to 6 months later (retiring, invol. separated, etc), you're still ok, I assume? At least under the last rules...

Dirty, good call! The previous stop loss initiation message said...

...members who have shipped household goods or household goods are scheduled as of the receipt of this message for pick up on or before (removed date), or have departed on terminal leave or transition permissive TDY which is immediately followed by terminal leave on or before (date removed) are exempt. ....

Check Six!

Not saying I'm pragmatic, but when my stop loss waiver was approved in Oct/Nov of 01, I went ahead a did a partial DITY the next week.

There were some other good reasons to do it, but the factors you guys mentioned were also in play.

More advice...don't roll a retirement/sep date for 30/60/90/180 more days with a paycheck if you really want out. Those may be some VERY expensive days for you if you miss your chance to make a break if/when you think it is time to move on.

Good luck.

Thank God I'm on terminal leave. Maybe that will do it since I haven't shipped anything.

H82BL8T - Where is your training in November??

Latest resources

Back