• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Starting a 135 company

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Look into buying a 135 certificate. You get the certificate and just need to transfer it into your FSDO. Just be sure you get a "clean" certificate. This may be cheaper, quiker, and easier than applying for one and starting from scratch. Come to think of it, I remember hearing the the FAA was limiting the number of new certificates after 9/11, not sure if things are back to normal. you can also put your aircraft on someone else's certificate while you get your up and running. Just some ideas....

Mike,

The FAA is sort of back to normal. Which is normal for the FAA.

There are a couple of problems with buying a certificate. The guidance issued to the inspectors will not them to transfer a certificate's ownership if there is a complete change of required management personnel. There are also several hoops you need to jump through to move the certificate. Finally, many of the certificates out there for sale have a 'history' with the FAA. And by that I mean the wrong kind of history. If you are going to have to have a fight with the feds, at least start out with a clean slate.

Running on someone elses certificate is called boot strapping. It is legal, but many feds don't like to see it. It can be a quick way to get started. If you are operating an aircraft that requires proofing flights, you will most likely be required to pay all the costs. Plus there will most likely be some fees involede.

I believe that Professional Pilot had an article in the Feb. 2002 issue. All it really talks about is the differnce of part 91 vs. opening a 135 to help suplament the costs of a flight dept. It does refer to the Atlanta FSDO, saying that they have the best site for getting infomation. Hope this helps.

Good advise Rick, I think you hit the nail right on the head.

Flychicaga, why does your friend want to start a charter company? I hope it's not because he wants to make money! If the guy has the capital to start a company and wants to make more money, there are a lot better ways he can go about making money than getting into aviation (buy an Applebee's franchise next to an airport, you'll be rolling in it)!

There are some good reasons to start a charter company (i.e. tax benefits, having experienced people on hand to run it, need, etc.) but trying to make money is never a good reason to START a charter company.

FlyChicago, I have started my own 135, I am located at a small airport north of DuPage,and I dealt with the DuPage FSDO. Is your friend's Father in this area?

We started with a Single Pilot part 135, only because it is easier to upgrade to a Basic 135. I used a retired DuPage FSDO employee to do my certification package, he started his own consulting firm, and I had no problems with it.
I will agree with the rest on the money issue, but I found the time the FSDO takes to approve the certificate is the most frustating part of the certification process.

It took us 5 months to get our certificate from start to finish, I would say check into insurance right away, we only had one taker out of eight companies that we shopped. The insurance people are not real excited about single airplane, single engine part 135 operations.

We found a niche in the midwest area that was needed by a certain industry and it is working out well for us, yes you can make money in aviation, we have added a second aircraft and are going after our Basic 135 after the new year.

Please feel free to email me at [email protected] if you would like more info.

Kevin

As someone who is currently involved in the development of a 135 cert, here's my 2 cents.

Jeff foxworthy (I think) once said that getting married so that you can have sex is like buying a 747 so you can get free peanuts.

Starting a 135 op to get a flying job is like building a homebuilt from scratch so that you can get your private ticket.

You gotta really want to be in the 135 biz.
The paperwork is immense. As an earlier post mentioned, it took 5 months for a cert that allows one pilot and one airplane. And that was usung an ex-fed to do a lot of the legwork. My guess is since the aircraft is single engline that it's a VFR only op?
Now if you want 2 or three twins to do IFR? Not going anywhere for a while? Have a couple hundred snickers bars. ;)

Unless you can get regular work hauling freight, you then have to go out and sell your services in the cutthroat pax-carrying industry.

The insurance companies are making harder than ever, as was also noted.

If it is what you (or your friend) really wants to do, then you will probably succeed.

BTW: You can go to your local FSDO and watch a video on the process.

Also check out FAA.gov, and hunt around for the 135 homepage.

Good luck! I know we'll need it.

If they are clueless, that might be taken as a hint.

This should only be undertaken when they are fully clued.

Why dump on outsiders for being clueless when many FAA inspectors are also clueless. When I as an operator have to quote out of FAA Order 8400, the Air Carrier Inspector's Handbook done to the sub paragraph to an air carrier inspector, what does that tell you.

It tells me we're dealing with a government agency. :D

Just imagine: what if an FAA inspector actually could legally interpret the regulations. Jeez, what a thought.

I'm not dumping on someone for being clueless, but I think they need to either fully school themselves or hire someone to fully school them before spending more than a few dollars on starting a 135 operation.

Latest resources

Back