• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hawkercpt

oh crap! Now what?
FSDO

Call the local FSDO and ask them to send what information is necessary. They'll get you off to the start of tons of paperwork, plus they'll be able to provide you with the list of everything needed, minus the $$$$$.

Plan on having lots of capital prior/during operation. Plan on at least a year to get the certificate if he doesn't know what's involved, maybe 6 mo. if he is on the ball and has a good FSDO. Good luck.

In order to make a small fortune in aviation, start with a LARGE fortune.

This will only be a good idea if this "Dad" has a really strong and experienced background in aviation, and has a large list of potential clients that know and respect him.

There are consultants who can do the greatest percentage of the paperwork. It isn't for the faint of heart. It makes creating a corporation seem simple.

I'm hoping that he has a good reason for this undertaking, and I wish him well.

If you subscribe to professional pilot, i think there was an article about starting up a 135 outfit in either the feb. march or april issue this year. Let me loof at the past issues i have and i'll let ya know which month it was.

I think I read it was anywere from 3 months to 1 year, but hawkercpt is right. call the local FSDO and they'll tell you everything you want to know along with what paper work you'll need.

There is a little easier way than contacting your local FSDO. What my local FSDO does is point people toward the website of the ATL FSDO. They have the whole process on their website including copies of the required letter, etc.

Depending on the aircraft, FSI and Simuflite could wrtie your training program.

Good luck

Rick1128 said:
Depending on the aircraft, FSI and Simuflite could wrtie your training program.

Good luck

With no previous 135 experience he will most likely have to start out as a single pilot or single pilot-in-command operator. These do not require the management positions and training program spelled out in Part 119. We upgraded to a basic a year ago and when we submitted our training program to the FSDO (put together by FSI), our FSDO rejected it. They wanted it in a particular format the was developed by someone at the Raleigh FSDO. We went round and round with it and finally relented (they threatened not to give us the upgrade because of "bad non-compliance attitude"), scaned the FSI book into the FSDO format... pain in the butt. They can and will make you jump through many hoops. Alot of submitting of material, review, return and re-submittals. One of the tasks you will have is a Statement of Compliance - you will have to go through every 119 and 135 reg. and explain how you will comply with it. Best advice is to hire a company that specializes in setting up 135 companies.

It depends on the FSDO. But unless Inspector really doesn't know what they are doing they will not make you start as a single pilot operator. In fact they can not. If you run into this type of inspector, speak directly to the FSDO manager and request a new inspector.

Do you home work. Get a fresh copy of FAA Order 8400.10 the Air Carrier Inspector's Handbook. Get very familiar with it. Know what inspectors can and can not do.

Next, if FSI or Simuflite offers training in whatever aircraft type you are going to use, the FSDO will push you to use them. In fact they will get down right insistant about it. The most problems I have had about a FSI or Simuflite training program is that they tend to refer to themselves way too much. So you will have to keep going through the program to get all the inappropriate references to themselves out of it.

Most of the consultants that are out there are ex-FAA inspectors. It has been my experience that it doesn't garrentee it will be accepted. Sometimes it will create more problems than it solves.

Check the following:

www2.faa.gov/fsdo/atl/ncertinfo.htm

That is the website of the ATL FSDO it has a lot of good information. Just read it completely and follow each step completely. It will not be a breeze, but it is doable.

Call the NBAA

The NBAA should be the first resource you use.

NBAA

Since NBAA is for the most part an association of corporate aircraft operators, it really is not as good a source of information as NATA, National Air Transportation Association. My current employer and previous employer are members of both organizations. NATA is really on top of the issues effecting Part 135 operators.

Latest resources

Back