Spirit Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You dang well better!!!

You just want me to go so I can help get you in. :)

Really, I just don't know. It depends on how commutable the schedules are. I've been trying to go to Airtran since I live so close to the airport at ATL, but if all of the schedules at Spirit are really commutable then it might not be a bad choice. Anyone have any insight?

The schedules are better, no far better than the regional world, if that is where you are working. As far as commutable schedules go, for a new hire the four days off between trips including resereve make it worth while to commute for me at least. I'm sure you already know that Spirit flys into ATL, also a plus.

The schedules are better, no far better than the regional world, if that is where you are working. As far as commutable schedules go, for a new hire the four days off between trips including resereve make it worth while to commute for me at least. I'm sure you already know that Spirit flys into ATL, also a plus.

I guess what I'm wondering is whether the typical trip will allow you to commute the same days of the trip starting or ending, or would I always be commuting on the days before and after the trip (as I do most of the time now at Pinnacle)?

depends...

where you are at on the seniority list. We do a lot of early morning departures out of DTW. Typically flying a 3 to 4 day trip followed by a one day trip that arrives too late for a commute. You never know what the next contract might bring. The 4 day off rule between trips is great but by all indications the company doesn't like it.

Personally, I would find the commute tough but again it depends on seniority and how much time you like spending in a hotel/crashpad.

Take a look at flights from ATL to DTW or FLL. From MSP, I can get into DTW by 0830, and get out of DTW at 2230. This makes it a fairly painless commute for me. I still sometimes need to spend a night in DTW on the front side of a trip though because of the early morning flights (i.e. tomorrow). The stretch of 4 days off is key though, and I pray we don't lose that. The bottom line is that commuting sucks, but it has been much easier here than it was at the regionals I worked for.

BTW, is your friend JT?

I guess what I'm wondering is whether the typical trip will allow you to commute the same days of the trip starting or ending, or would I always be commuting on the days before and after the trip (as I do most of the time now at Pinnacle)?

You will have a rather wide variety of trip construction to choose from in DTW. Popular with many of the commuters are red-eye only lines which typically have a first day report time of around 1700 local and a last day release time around 06:30 local.
The number of 3-commute/month day trip lines has seemed to be increasing lately which will typically include most trips being commutable on one end of the trip (3 commuting RON's in DTW).
The majority of the lines have 4 commutes/month and are a mix of
commutable, and non-commutable pairings.
Reserve is reserve- it's just as lousy as it is everywhere else.

Overall, I'm sure you will find the company and QOL to be a vast improvement over where you are now.

Last edited:
How is the QOL on reserve if you live in domicile? Do you guys have short/long call?

Reserve:
Long call/ short call is being looked at but is not currently in place. You have 3 hrs from trip notification to push. Short notifications are relatively rare, but do occur. 12 days off, or 13 days off in 31 day month. Reserve days may be traded in open time. 4 immovable days off selected by pilot. There is a no jeopardy, friendly commuter policy in place.

Reserve A: Duty is 0400 to 1800 base local time
B: 1000-0000
C: 1500-0400
D: 1800-0700
These times may be modified by the company (with MEC concurrence), but you get the general idea.

As I've posted before, we are in contract negotiations. Therefore, NOTHING that we presently have can be counted on to last. I hope that the QOL can be maintained, but that remains to be seen.

I believe that we face a long battle with our owners, Indigo Partners (part of the Texas/Pacific Group) over contract improvements.

Good Luck All,

Latest resources

Back