Spirit jumpseat

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flaps30

Whats the process for listing for a international jumpseat, phone or gate, how hard is it to get back, ect.

Spirit's reciprocal j/s list includes most 121 carriers in the US. We are CASS and do have international j/s agreements with numerous carriers. I called someone at Spirit (j/s assignment desk) and they agreed with me that if a carrier is marked as an int'l j/s carrier on our mutual agreement sheet, then that pilot may occupy a cockpit j/s on that int'l flight (or, of course, an available cabin seat). All our A319/321s have 2 jumpseats in the cockpit.

PM me your airline and I'll see what agreement we show with you.

As for procedure, it is ticket counter and/or gate only. A few months ago, some of our agents were giving jumpseaters a hard time, claiming lack of time to accomodate them. It should be resolved, however, as the company was notified of the problems and were reminded that half of their pilots got to work via jumpseats, many on other carriers.

Your best bet is to arrive early (at least one hour prior to departure) and try to get listed at the ticket counter. If you are unable to do so, then proceed to the gate and do it there. Don't be surprised if you don't see someone at the gate until 15-20 minutes prior to departure--hence their oft unwillingness to help out with a jumpseater. Try to make contact with one of the pilots of the flight, as well, as all will ensure you get the attention you deserve in regards to a jumpseat request.

Before you leave the States, try to get a Spirit agent to list you on your return flight, as our agents in Latin America/Carib may not be properly informed on our j/s procedures. As always, take SOMETHING in writing that can back up your case (reciprical j/s agreement, etc.). I'm not saying you'll have a problem, you just never know how another culture will handle the situation (I had problems last week in Cancun coming out on Delta--totally different rules than in domestic system).

By all means, if you encounter ANY problems with the jumpseat procedure on Spirit, please inform your j/s coordinator so they can, in turn, notify ours. It is imperative that we keep up our end of the bargain.

Have fun and let us know how it all works out.

gator

I would also highly recommend that you bring with you a copy of the reciprocal jumpseat letter from your company. I had a VERY hard time jumpseating on NK recently. The gate agents (FLL) would not process me because my airline wasn't on thier list. I showed them a copy of the j/s agreement and they still wouldn't. I asked to see thier list and get this, it was updated 10/30/06. Of course!

Out of DTW however, the gate agents were VERY helpful. Same problem, however after I showed them the date on thier list and my j/s agreement they had no problem getting me in the system.

Be early in FLL. You may need it to deal with a long process. Anywhere else in the system will more than likely be just fine.

Last, I heard Intl. Cockpit Jumpseats were off-limits period. Per the TSA, this includes online jumpseats. Do not believe the guy at the help desk, better to ask the Jumpseat Coordinator or the CP. This does not prohibit you from occupying a cabin seat or a FA seat.

Last edited:
Offline jumpseaters can't ride in the cockpit internationally. I referenced the ALPA website and CASS is only for domestic jumpseats. I don't like this rule, but it's not worth risking your airline losing CASS approval.

All our A319/321s have 2 jumpseats in the cockpit.

They're planning for only 1 jumpseat in the future. New airplanes will come with 1 jumpseat, and the others will be removed in the next heavy maintenance.

Maybe if they remove the 2 pilots, they could also save 500 pounds... :)

They're planning for only 1 jumpseat in the future. New airplanes will come with 1 jumpseat, and the others will be removed in the next heavy maintenance.

Maybe if they remove the 2 pilots, they could also save 500 pounds... :)

Rumor..........

Rumor or lie, but straight out of JC's mouth !!!

I don't doubt that he said that - BUT this is during contract negotiations. Alot of stuff WILL be said back and forth until the contract is signed.

Is this your first Section 6 period?!

I also remember reading/hearing that all flying would originate out of FLL beginning in October. I take everything I hear with a grain of salt.

Latest resources

Back