Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
and after all the "No" chatter, 74% yes, that is almost like a land slide
You said it...

I figured it would pass, but was thinking more 60/40.

However, 74% only tells me the NUMBER that voted YES, not WHY they did it. I would hazard a guess that at least 10-20% of those YES votes came from people who were just worn down and didn't WANT to go back on strike or AFRAID to go back on strike for fear or being put on ice, or some other such nonsense.

In the end, it's their contract; they have to deal with it for the next decade or so... The good news? It shows the NMB that strikes DO result in contracts and DO work without killing the company. Hopefully that will equate to more negotiating leverage for all the OTHER carriers moving forward.

I agree that you need to make them pay, but full retro is usually impossible once it drags on for more than a couple of years. Full retro here at AirTran would cost something like $150 million. That's a full third of what they have in cash, and a lot of that cash is really debt. Think that's going to happen? Of course not. We'll get something to make them pay, but full retro just isn't going to happen.

150 MILLION?!!?!?! WOW! I don't want to get into public math but unless you guys have about 150,000 pilots that is one hell of a retro check! Where did you come up with this number?!

150 MILLION?!!?!?! WOW! I don't want to get into public math but unless you guys have about 150,000 pilots that is one hell of a retro check! Where did you come up with this number?!
It's not rocket science...

1,700 pilots
$20,000 per year lost in annual COLA raises
5+ years past the amendable date

= $170 Million

Of course, that's just rough math. AirTran's only had 1,700 pilots for 2 of those 5 years, so that reduces that figure somewhat, but SOME seniority levels (especially the F/O's) are looking at a LOT more yearly lost ($30,000 approx difference in current pay scale to proposed pay scale in new T.A. yearly), so it averages that figure back upwards.

I'd say $150 Million is probably accurate, and reflects what I've heard from individual AirTran MEC reps.

Or,,, by your math,,, 150,000 pilots would get a $1,000 retro check? I get $1,000 for 5 years of negotiations and not getting a COLA raise? Yeah,,, ummm,,, not so much, but thanks anyway. ;)

...come up with $1.1 billion...

I think you mean:

...that they have stolen from your wallet...

How many years have they paid the CEO huge bonuses?
How many years has the sonority list been working for concessionary wages?

The second that contract was put in writing as a TA, management knew that the amendable date would come...it is not like it is (or was) a big surprise when the end of the contract would arrive. But management knows they can drag on and on because the NMB will never do anything.

Maybe ALPA's new slogan should be "Let's get it back through illegal job action, because if you do things according to the law the labor group will loose millions and millions of dollars while management drags out the negotiations and the CEO will get a huge bonus while he furloughs the junior pilots because he is too stupid to run an airline (but he has an MBA from Harvard, which qualifies him to be the CEO of any business) and has made horrible business decisions."

that contract is ********************tier than some regionals. What a bar-lowering sunafabitch

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back