• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest's new plan to screw Airtran pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I saw this FANTASTIC Russian blonde in Punta Cana a few months ago on the layover, she was 5' 9" and could have been in Playboy, maybe Playmate of the Year.

Feeling well-lubricated (read slightly south of intoxicated), I went up to the bar and after making sure she spoke English, I asked her if she'd sleep with me for $100,000. She was very excited and said that she'd do anything I wanted all night for that. I then asked if she'd do it for $100.

She said "What do you think I am, a wh*re?" I said, "We've already agreed that you're a wh*re, not we're just dickering on the price."

Yes, it's a fictitious story, and an old one at that, but the point is still the same.

That said, we're beating an old horse here. Again. ;)

The difference is that SW just requires the type. They don't make anyone pay for it. There were many that already had the type from previous airlines or through the government.

There are also 1,700 people that do not have to pay for a type to become Southwest pilots.

How many didn't have to pay to get on with GIA?

P.S. When you use Winston Churchill stories at least give him credit.

Didn't know where that one came from, actually, always wondered about that... do you have a Wiki link to it?

And yes, many people (me included) got the type from Uncle Sam, but more people probably paid for it out of their own pocket than not, and the point still applies.

As far as the AAI pilots not paying for the type, that's the cost of doing business, and you won't find many of us shedding any tears for that cost to Southwest, nor does it have much to do with this discussion.

if i send southwest a check for $7000 for the type i got at airtran can i have my senority back? i would mail the check today. swapa is never going to let us be in the club. the only thing we have to look forward to now is that a bunch of spoiled swa fo's are going to get bumped out of the east coast bases as we come over. as you all tell us, you voted for it. i could not care less where you have to commute to.

I saw this FANTASTIC Russian blonde in Punta Cana a few months ago on the layover, she was 5' 9" and could have been in Playboy, maybe Playmate of the Year.

Feeling well-lubricated (read slightly south of intoxicated), I went up to the bar and after making sure she spoke English, I asked her if she'd sleep with me for $100,000. She was very excited and said that she'd do anything I wanted all night for that. I then asked if she'd do it for $100.

She said "What do you think I am, a wh*re?" I said, "We've already agreed that you're a wh*re, not we're just dickering on the price."

Yes, it's a fictitious story, and an old one at that, but the point is still the same.

That said, we're beating an old horse here. Again. ;)

I guess that's true for pretty much EVERY airline then. Since you only needed a Commercial (and no type rating) to fly as a First Officer, and essentially every airline requires an ATP to apply, then I suppose all you OTHER guys paid for training (ATP) that you didn't need for the job. Nice of you to save your employer that money, just like you crow about for Southwest pilots.

What's the difference? Other than the cost, that is, which Lear already pointed out doesn't matter. Navy Jim, it looks like you TOO paid out of your pocket to get in Hawaiian's right seat.

Bubba

P.S. C'mon Lear, you know that FI is the absolute world's largest repository of dead horses, just crying out to be beaten.

I guess that's true for pretty much EVERY airline then. Since you only needed a Commercial (and no type rating) to fly as a First Officer, and essentially every airline requires an ATP to apply, then I suppose all you OTHER guys paid for training (ATP) that you didn't need for the job. Nice of you to save your employer that money, just like you crow about for Southwest pilots.

What's the difference? Other than the cost, that is, which Lear already pointed out doesn't matter. Navy Jim, it looks like you TOO paid out of your pocket to get in Hawaiian's right seat.

Bubba

P.S. C'mon Lear, you know that FI is the absolute world's largest repository of dead horses, just crying out to be beaten.

Quite a difference. Every airline I know in the USA provides the type rating for the euipment. SWA is the only one that once hired, you have to get your own 737 type rating within 6 months. If you get hired at JetBlue, VX, Frontier, they don't require you to get your own type. Same with the legacies. Why SWA?

Quite a difference. Every airline I know in the USA provides the type rating for the euipment. SWA is the only one that once hired, you have to get your own 737 type rating within 6 months. If you get hired at JetBlue, VX, Frontier, they don't require you to get your own type. Same with the legacies. Why SWA?

Not really much of a difference. You're nitpicking.

A 737 type rating is a requirement to be hired by Southwest. It used to be it was part of the minimums to apply, but then they allowed an interview without, as long as you got it before you started. It's still part of the minimums to be hired as a Southwest FO.

Neither an ATP or a type rating is required by the FAA to be hired or fly as an FO. They're only required of the Captain. However, most (but not all) majors require an ATP certificate as part of their minimums, including Southwest. Southwest also requires the 737 type as part of its minimums. Why doesn't Southwest provide the type when you upgrade? The same reason question can be asked as why doesn't your airline just provide you with an ATP checkout when you upgrade?

Both of us (all of us, really) had to buy ratings, on our own dime, wholely unrequired by the FAA for the job, to meet the minimum standards of the company to which we applied. Do you see what I'm getting at? You bought an ATP you didn't need to apply at your airline; I bought an ATP and a type rating I didn't need to apply at mine. Other than the cost, there's no difference. Certainly not in principle, anyway.

Bubba

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back