• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Window

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
According to the last vacancy bid 2,532 pilots are based east of the Mississippi and 5,558 are based west. You can make a really good living in the right and get a decent QOL. If you don't care about QOL you can make Capt pay by about year 6-8 from the right seat. I really don't think there is another US carrier that enables you to do that as an FO. That part of SWAs model and the contract has impressed me the most. You are not going to fly to Paris in a 787 anytime soon. You are not going to beat a new hire at AA or DL to the left seat. But if you want to live in base on the west side of the Miss, get off reserve and make a few bucks. SWA is a good choice. If you want to get to the left seat or enjoy a first class meal, look elsewhere first (but still apply to SWA while waiting for that dream job!).

According to the last vacancy bid 2,532 pilots are based east of the Mississippi and 5,558 are based west. You can make a really good living in the right and get a decent QOL. If you don't care about QOL you can make Capt pay by about year 6-8 from the right seat. I really don't think there is another US carrier that enables you to do that as an FO. That part of SWAs model and the contract has impressed me the most. You are not going to fly to Paris in a 787 anytime soon. You are not going to beat a new hire at AA or DL to the left seat. But if you want to live in base on the west side of the Miss, get off reserve and make a few bucks. SWA is a good choice. If you want to get to the left seat or enjoy a first class meal, look elsewhere first (but still apply to SWA while waiting for that dream job!).

Good advice. Spot on.

Same here Phlinstone. Genny tries to pull out some bogus story to sell his 20 thousandth post.

He constantly has to come up with new material to keep the internet hits coming to the site, he's just the rabbit at a dog track. More hits, more revenue. You guys are arguing with a salesman.

Doesn't Delta make you pay for lodging during new hire class?

That's got to hurt on a new hire salary. Don't think that's deductible from your taxes either since Delta says your based in Atlanta for training. What's that six weeks or so?

Hotel is covered during indoc, first two weeks. Then you're generally on your own during aircraft training - about a month. Exception is if you're sent out of ATL for sim training. I was lucky enough to have that happen and had a hotel and continuous per diem during sim training.

A nice room around ATL will run you about $60-65 a night with a DAL rate. Most guys were grabbing a suite at the Holiday Inn on a monthly rate for about $1400 then some were splitting it with a classmate.

Delta does give you positive space (book it yourself) travel from ATL to your home for any off-days during training. It help takes some of the sting out. Especially, if you live in MSP - those flights are HEAVILY commuted.

That's got to hurt on a new hire salary. Don't think that's deductible from your taxes either since Delta says your based in Atlanta for training. What's that six weeks or so?
You're not bending over for Wavey, red!
Well, maybe that won't hurt either!:blush:
A few weeks in a crash pad compared to several thousand on buying your job. Along with a ********************ty retirement, and an 18 year upgrade! No comparison. You PFT sellouts will do anything to justify why you had to buy your jobs!

You're not bending over for Wavey, red!
Well, maybe that won't hurt either!:blush:
A few weeks in a crash pad compared to several thousand on buying your job. Along with a ********************ty retirement, and an 18 year upgrade! No comparison. You PFT sellouts will do anything to justify why you had to buy your jobs!

I guess back in the day it shortened training. Can't say that now. Also back in the day people left SWA to go fly for bigger airlines. Don't see that much anymore. Since buying AT, SWA has trained APD's and is typing FAT's as they come over. So I'm hoping this 43 year old tradition goes away with all the bold and innovative changes SWA has made over the last 5 years.

Latest resources

Back