• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest "Poolie" calls are going out

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
...Our training program is designed around pilots who are already typed. It will be interesting to see how they handle the 737 pilots.

So....hmmm.....

You're saying that some new-hire guy with a brand new 73 type and ZERO time in the plane would fair better in training than a Tranny FO with plenty of line-experience in type?

I'm thinking that Tranny FO should handle your 'type-rating-designed-training-program' just fine...

What am I missing?

So....hmmm.....

You're saying that some new-hire guy with a brand new 73 type and ZERO time in the plane would fair better in training than a Tranny FO with plenty of line-experience in type?

I'm thinking that Tranny FO should handle your 'type-rating-designed-training-program' just fine...

What am I missing?

Ultra,

My point is simply that the FAA approved our training syllabus based on certain prerequisites. I certainly don't mean any slander, or to diminish anyone's skills or experience. I'm sure that whatever they come up with will be no big deal for the AirTran pilots, I was commenting more about hot it will be different from how it is done now, and I'm curious how they will choose to do it.

Sorry if I offended anyone - not my intent.

ivauir
When the Morris pilots came over some of them came without the 737 type. The training for all the Morris pilot and all new hires was the same. In fact most new hire classes during that period, and my class was one of them, had 6 Morris pilots per class and by the way training was done you couldn't tell the difference. From talking with an instructor the current plan is to have all the AirTran pilots go through the full new hire training. But things can change in 2 years.

ivauir
When the Morris pilots came over some of them came without the 737 type. The training for all the Morris pilot and all new hires was the same. In fact most new hire classes during that period, and my class was one of them, had 6 Morris pilots per class and by the way training was done you couldn't tell the difference. From talking with an instructor the current plan is to have all the AirTran pilots go through the full new hire training. But things can change in 2 years.

I'm not so sure our current POI will be so gentle.

I agree, "hard landings" is a great book to read about the history of the industry especially just prior and during deregulation.

What's up with reading airplane books on days off?

Read a real man's book:

"Tommyland"

You're welcome!

Last edited:
Congratulations to the new hires. However... I hope you do realize that you will possibly be stuck in the junior base for a very long time (OAK now but may be ATL after the SLI but who knows for sure). If you choose not to live there, the long term commute to the junior base for one of our real choice junior reserve schedules can wear you and your family down. There has been lots of good news cool aid spewed out on here about growth, SL movment, etc. Right now though, things are still very stagnant and there are a lot of variables that can affect our collective futures.

I would say that they will not be stuck in the junior bases as long as the guys that are currently sitting there. Age 65 will have less than 2 years left by the time the next new hires hit the line so with no growth we will hire more for retirements then. I am hoping for more growth sooner than that.

Latest resources

Back