• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Pilots!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
try this the next time you are high in ONT in a -700 or -800. Only extend flaps on MASI speed, no higher, intial descent rate on extending flaps not to exceed 500fpm, once flaps are 1 or greater no use of speedbrake, at 1000 feet AGL be on speed and on GS, and be powered up by 500 feet AGL. Use gear when and how you need it.

Good luck

Hahaha...I was being rather sardonic in nature with that post. You know tongue in cheek. I'm hardly an A.Net kid or "instructordude". And definately not here to pretend to know it all or tell professional airline pilots how to do their job. I'm here to learn and soak up knowledge.

I might be a new breed here!

i think that i might be dumber for being here.... there isn't alot of "knowledge soaking".... most of the time

Being new at wn with less than 200 hrs on the 73, i'm finding it a little frustrating at times with the decent planning close the the field. 30+ miles out...no problem. From then on it feels like i'm constanly doing higher math and figuring when to start dirtying up. I'll call for flaps and the captain will say I don't need 'em. 5 seconds later..."you want flaps 5?" I tend to play it conservatively and get dirty and slow a bit early, but I still feel like i'm asking for gear and flaps half the time in the form of a question vs. a command. It'll come, but the learning curve's higher than I expected, expecially in the -700. Every trip get's easier and easier though. I think half the problem is, is that I have way too much gouge from captains i've flown with. My simple brain gets tangled up while cyphering through the mountains of gouge and flying the plane at the same time.

I'll call for flaps and the captain will say I don't need 'em. 5 seconds later..."you want flaps 5?" I tend to play it conservatively and get dirty and slow a bit early, but I still feel like i'm asking for gear and flaps half the time in the form of a question vs. a command.

Call for them and when they say no or not yet... reply "Ok then you set flaps to 5 when you want to." Or "IF I try to fly the airplane like you want me to, it will just f-me up so it might be better if you just give me flaps 5, now"

Being new at wn with less than 200 hrs on the 73, i'm finding it a little frustrating at times with the decent planning close the the field. 30+ miles out...no problem. From then on it feels like i'm constanly doing higher math and figuring when to start dirtying up. I'll call for flaps and the captain will say I don't need 'em. 5 seconds later..."you want flaps 5?" I tend to play it conservatively and get dirty and slow a bit early, but I still feel like i'm asking for gear and flaps half the time in the form of a question vs. a command. It'll come, but the learning curve's higher than I expected, expecially in the -700. Every trip get's easier and easier though. I think half the problem is, is that I have way too much gouge from captains i've flown with. My simple brain gets tangled up while cyphering through the mountains of gouge and flying the plane at the same time.

One of the many joys of sitting right seat! It gets better my friend!

I know how you feel - I went throungh the darn thing. Something that helped me was to make "targets" in advance .... my intital decent point, where I want to be at 18000, where I want to be at 10000, etc. Then I use the "fix" page to mark them with rings (obviously in a 700). A couple of legs like this and you can at least narrow down where your problem is.

BTW I still use this technique for airports without DME or if I don't go there much.

And I know - just one more technique for a guy with too much gouge, but here is another - make a plan (in yourt head) for what you think the Captain will do. Then if he is consistantly doing something different, ask him why. Even if I don't adapt another dudes technique, understanding it make me a better pilot.

Good luck and don't sweat it, you've mastered a lot of things that are tougher than this ...

All of my bitching aside, i've had an absolute blast during my 2 months on line, and i've only done am's. The cpt's i've flown with have been more than willing to help me out and the atmosphere here is unlike any other airline i've dealt with.

Latest resources

Back