Southwest Newhire questions..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wow,

One useful reply. Thanks Flintxx for the only piece of useful information. I am already typed on the 737 for what it is worth.

T-1

In the past, around 2008 or so if I remember correctly, you could apply and get hired contingent upon getting the 737 type in "x" amount of time prior to start date. The way I'm reading it now are they only looking for guys that already have the type possibly just to have some quick classes. Is that correct?

I say yes you are corrct. HOWEVER, I am only a line-dog with an opinion. If I did not have the type, I would definetly still apply. NOBODY knows the real quals in which this next group will get interviewed.

forget Alaska if you are a tobacco user-they will not even look at you if you are-good thing I quit last year! After that-heck I do not have any contacts at Alaska and no type for SWA but either option would be a better life than working for Pinnacle Inc. SWA has better bases for my immediate future but I would love to move my family to the west coast so Alaska's bases are okay too. I like both options for a future

No Fubi, the truth doesn't hurt one bit. What hurts is watching you make an ass out of yourself on every single SWA thread that pops up. You're like an obsessed teenager.

I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like for you on the line....having to hear "southwest" over and over again on the radio. Sharing the taxiways and airspace with us must be shaving days off your life.

And a three day chorus of anti-SWA ramblings must be an absolute joy for the guy sitting next to you.

Can someone from Southwest give me an idea of what bases and timelines are for a new hire. Also, how difficult would the commute from Dallas be to OAK ? Any and all pertinent information would be appreciated. Hoping to be in the new 140....

FO Juniority for domiciles start with OAK, then LAS and PHX. Those bases give the soonest chance to hold a line (or blank line/MIL Drop+vacation trip drops). AS LONG AS more are hired behind you. MDW, HOU, BWI, MCO have had super junior folks get there, but sitting reserve, and displaced out during monthly/seasonal manning corrections.

As to commute, until the Wright Amendment fully expires in 2014, any flights out of DAL to non-adjoining states require a stop. A PITA. But no restrictions out of DFW off-line.

I've been commuting from South Texas west-bound for 3 yrs, on-line and off-line. Very often I'm riding jumpseat, sometimes with another JSer. NOT real comfortable, but it gets me to work and home.

I have not yet missed work because I couldn't get on an airplane--not counting the fuel pump failure on the way to the airport. In rush hour traffic. In the TX summer. But I digress. SWA's commuter policy is very good, IMHO.

For reference, this is my only airline, after 20+ mil service.

I spent one month in OAK...then 7 months in MDW...the a year in HOU...then to DAL...gave away a bunch and picked up in DAL....sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't.

Latest resources

Back