Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you understand the point? They want employees who take ownership of the company. They will empower you to take care of the customer- but Swa wants you invested. You will be paid far in excess of your type rating investment in the first year- but we want pilots who are willing to bet on themselves and southwest.

You seem fixated on this- yet I made over $70k in my 1st year here.
What is it called when continental pays less than $30k and no health benefits for 6 months? How about $27k at united or $40k at Fedex, but btw- we're sending you to hong kong where a 2br apartment is $5k/month?

It's a throwback, for sure. It helped determine who really wanted to work for southwest and who just wanted a stop gap before moving on to a legacy. Can you blame them?

Now I think it has a better role- it protects against those pilots who are just here for the money and don't care to contribute to the overall corporation.

In this capitalistic society- this is swa's right and if you don't like it- don't buy the type. The market however, will probably leave you cold-

I paid for my school and all my initial ratings- I fought for a career and won. To me it's not a bad thing. It's an entrepreneurial spirit that ought to be encouraged.

Lesser companies wouldn't find the pilots willing to do it.
IMO.

That all sounds like an informercial. It's like you're trying to sell the idea, but we all know it isn't right. The legacies used to pay better than Southwest before 9-11, but still didn't make anyone pay for anything. What will be your excuse when the legacies bring their pay back up, and SWA still has that policy? It will continue to look foolish.

Yes, my father paid for my initial training while I was in college, getting ratings each Summer. But after that, I was on my own, including flying crappy jobs even before I could get to my current RJ job. But I do know that if I ever brought up asking for money to buy a type for a job, he'd send me out of the room. I just don't think he would approve of anything like that. Most people don't. You probably think the Gulfstream "pay to play" deal is a good idea too.

And guys like me who did it without daddy would like you to shut up - I answered what it is all about- You keep trying to tie it to pft showing your arse.
If you don't want to do that- it's a free country- don't. Keep flying your rj- (btw- I used to be a legacy pilot... Most of my former peers believe YOURE a sellout for being willing to fly that RJ...So... Keep thinking they do things better- -- they really don't.- after experiencing both- believe me- the cash for a type is the tiniest concern in my mind)

But very few if us at Swa resent that type- we understand it's purpose and chose to do it. Again, free country. Get over it.

Now- how about those $30k no health insurance first years at your coveted legacies? Care to answer?

Last edited:
And guys like me who did it without daddy would like you to shut up - I answered what it is all about- You keep trying to tie it to pft showing your arse.
If you don't want to do that- it's a free country- don't. But very few if us at Swa resent that type- we understand it's purpose and chose to do it. Again, free country. Get over it.

Great, but you're still an orange disgrace. You and the Gulfstream FOs should go party together! BTW, what is the difference, besides pay, between your scheme and Gulfstream's?

And, you bring up CAL's low pay and no insurance deal for the first 6 months. Well, I will not be applying there. That is MY choice, just like not paying for a 737 type.

Last edited:
I was hired at SWA without a type. I paid about $5000 for a 737 type in 2007 after I was offered a job.

Once on the property at SWA, they paid me from day one. They provided my hotel room during training. They provided health insurance from day 1, 401(k) match from day 1. SWA PAID me $67,000 in my first 12 months there.

So $67,000-5000=$62,000.

So if your airline doesn't pay what SWA does, then you paid for your training. They just deduct it from your first year pay.

Does Delta still make you pay your own hotel after indoc?

Yes, my father paid for my initial training while I was in college, getting ratings each Summer. But after that, I was on my own, including flying crappy jobs even before I could get to my current RJ job. But I do know that if I ever brought up asking for money to buy a type for a job, he'd send me out of the room. I just don't think he would approve of anything like that. Most people don't. You probably think the Gulfstream "pay to play" deal is a good idea too.

You didn't pay for any training. Your daddy did. I get it.

You do know what RJ stands for right?

That all sounds like an informercial. It's like you're trying to sell the idea, but we all know it isn't right. The legacies used to pay better than Southwest before 9-11, but still didn't make anyone pay for anything. What will be your excuse when the legacies bring their pay back up, and SWA still has that policy? It will continue to look foolish.

No-
Those who think it's foolish will avoid Swa- which is a very good thing IMO-
Good luck with your skywest career

But I do know that if I ever brought up asking for money to buy a type for a job, he'd send me out of the room. I just don't think he would approve of anything like that. Most people don't. You probably think the Gulfstream "pay to play" deal
But what would he say about the "pay to stay" for your hotel room during training? He'd be Okie Dokie with that? There's always the crashpad. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back