Southwest and their lack of pay raises and stock in their merger

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

On Your Six

There, I started a thread for Redflyer. You keep bashing ALPA, but you guys couldn't do any better during your merger with Airtran. You got zero pay raises, zero stock, and SWAPA had to bring in the big guns to talk down the Airtran MEC. I think you may want to look into ALPA, because SWAPA sure didn't seem to add much to your merger, accept Airtran guys in front of you.

Godspeed!

The OYSter

This is a good discussion OYS. In the context of comparison I think there may be some good discussion here. Thank you for starting this thread lets see where this goes. I can say as a SWA pilot we are often teased with carrots and because of our referenced compensation now in 2012 it was harder to seek improvements above current levels.

This is a good discussion OYS. In the context of comparison I think there may be some good discussion here. Thank you for starting this thread lets see where this goes. I can say as a SWA pilot we are often teased with carrots and because of our referenced compensation now in 2012 it was harder to seek improvements above current levels.

Thanks. Of course I want SWA to keep the bar high, but I think there were some serious misteps when SWA wages weren't increased at all in the joint contract, and there was zero stock given. I would love to get a response from Redflyer, and see if he thinks SWAPA should have tried for that, or if he thinks ALPA could have done better, like they did in the DL and NWA merger.

Godspeed!

The OYSter

I think you may want to look into ALPA, because SWAPA sure didn't seem to add much to your merger, accept Airtran guys in front of you.

Godspeed!

The OYSter

So your position is the AirTran guys made out great. Ok then, got it.

Hey Princess, you might wan't to reference this thread: Delta and UAL might be de-certifying ALPA

I'm glad ALPA got you huge raises and lots of stock along with big seniority bumps during your merger with NWA. Hopefully in our next contract we can raise our pay up to yours. ;)

Back to hanging out in ELP and other cities served by your outsourcing.

So your position is the AirTran guys made out great. Ok then, got it.

Ask your own junior guys how they feel. I talked to a few, they may interview elsewhere. And your SWAPA didn't help your cause. You had to have "daddy" come in and give a talk.... The truth hurts, quit bragging.

Godspeed!

The OYSter

Last edited:
Hey Princess, you might wan't to reference this thread: Delta and UAL might be de-certifying ALPA

I'm glad ALPA got you huge raises and lots of stock along with big seniority bumps during your merger with NWA. Hopefully in our next contract we can raise our pay up to yours. ;)

Back to hanging out in ELP and other cities served by your outsourcing.

Had you actually read that thread, you would have seen that the majority still approves of ALPA, including me. A lot will happen after this next contract, and thanks to DL making 4 times the profit of Southwest now (United makes 6 times the profit), there is a great chance real progress will happen.

Btw, mainline still flies to ELP, on MD88s. I, luckily, do not because I don't fly that plane. That makes me happy. Enjoy it there, I won't.

Godspeed!

The OYSter

Sorry I hurt your feelings OYS. But I'll bite..

I think we will do just fine. Better than ALPA? Absolutely. I'm so glad we aren't apart of that political, self-serving machine. Enjoy it.

Oh, and one more thing....our dues are HALF of yours. So we keep more of the money we work hard for.

Sorry I hurt your feelings OYS. But I'll bite..

I think we will do just fine. Better than ALPA? Absolutely. I'm so glad we aren't apart of that political, self-serving machine. Enjoy it.

Oh, and one more thing....our dues are HALF of yours. So we keep more of the money we work hard for.

You do work hard for it, that is a fact. There is no way I would do your schedules, not even for that higher pay. I like 1 or 2 leg days, max. I also look forward to flying overseas someday, and the variety that comes along with a healthy legacy carrier.

As far as your union goes, the dues may be half, and that is pretty much what you got in your negotiations. Boy, they had NO IDEA what to do when Airtran balked. They stood there, shaking, and had to look for someone elses help. "Help me, daddy." Everyone in the industry saw arbitration coming, and somehow, some WAY, it just didn't..... Hmmmm. Was that because of your union's expertise? No. It was because someone had a locker room talk with someone else. Now, any other group that SWA eventually wants to merge with will KNOW what the deal is. There will be zero cooperation most likely. The Airtran guys initially thought they could get a better deal in arbitration, and they may have been correct, had it not been for some...ahem.....revelations......???? Yeah, your dues are less, and they may want to increase them so they can pay for some negotiating lessons for your group.

Godspeed!

The OYSter

As far as your union goes, the dues may be half, and that is pretty much what you got in your negotiations. Boy, they had NO IDEA what to do when Airtran balked. They stood there, shaking, and had to look for someone elses help. "Help me, daddy." Everyone in the industry saw arbitration coming, and somehow, some WAY, it just didn't..... Hmmmm. Was that because of your union's expertise? No. It was because someone had a locker room talk with someone else. Now, any other group that SWA eventually wants to merge with will KNOW what the deal is. There will be zero cooperation most likely. The Airtran guys initially thought they could get a better deal in arbitration, and they may have been correct, had it not been for some...ahem.....revelations......???? Yeah, your dues are less, and they may want to increase them so they can pay for some negotiating lessons for your group.

Godspeed!

The OYSter

WHAT?

I'd say SWAPA came out pretty good. Airtran guys are getting a raise that puts them above yours. Opinions on both side will vary, and it's over. Just like DL/NW is over, even after pissing off some NW guys. I'm pretty sure both sides are ready to move forward together. I know I am.

See you in Atlanta in about two weeks.

RF

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back