Southwest and Airtran

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Obi-Wan

Is it true that Southwest and Airtran do not hire experienced furloughed pilots and prefer current B1900 drivers to RJ Drivers? Thanks.

Last edited:
We also do a pre-screening drug test.

I've never heard anything about SWA preferring one type of pilot over another (unless you count 1000 pic turbine as a type of pilot) but I have heard a RUMOR that the last 2 Airtran classes were almost soley comprised of RJ capts and something about Airtran looking hard for lots of 121 PIC turbine time now (thus very little or no military pilots in those classes). 2nd hand and not confirmed, maybe someone with some Airtran knowledge can enlighten us. Could just be a statistical fluke or it could be a trend towards different hiring preferences? (both those presume the rumor is even true)

firstthird said:
(both those presume the rumor is even true)

Rumors not true. As reported on our pilot website, the last 3 new hire classes were comprised of pilots from the following, although this list is not complete:

Navy
Air Force
US Air
US Air Exp
PSA
AMR/TWA
Piedmont
Mesaba

Obi-Wan said:
Is it true that Southwest and Airtran do not hire experienced furloughed pilots and prefer current B1900 drivers to RJ Drivers? Thanks.

Can't speak for AirTran, but I do know SWA would be much more interested in a B1900 Captain than an RJ F/O. Any major dude will tell ya: get that 1000 PIC turbine (turbo-prop time works just fine) in the bank, THEN think about bidding up in equipment. :cool:

As for hiring furloughees...look in the mirror and ask yourself: In my heart of hearts, would I now rather work for SWA or <insert major airline name here> if offered a call-back tomorrow? If the answer is not SWA, then you might want to think twice about applying (much less getting the 73-type!). If you can't convince yourself, you probably won't convince the interviewers either.

Just finished reading NUTS! There was a brief mention that addressed part of your question. I'll just quote from page 98 of the paperback version.
"Previous airline experience doesn't carry a lot of weight at Southwest". Then it continues with the type of people they like. The books was written about 8 years ago, so this may be stale info. It's also a little out of context.

I know several mil guys hired in last Airtran class...

Lack of huge numbers is likely due to the fact not a lot of guys bailing out into the turbid free market right now. More than a few guys are hanging out taking the bonus right now...

Latest resources

Back