• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southern Air

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Anyone else been hearing the Atlas / Southern rumor? Lately, it seems that it is being talked about almost every day I am at work.

Atlas wants the 777, I dead headed on it the other night. pretty nice ride sipping 14k/hr. smelled new as well

You may have found it comfy and frugal, but that alone is not reason enough for 5Y to justify betting the farm on 'em. I hear they're a bit pricey.

Apart from it apparently causing Fred Smith to giggle like a little schoolboy every time he sees it in purple colors, I get the impression from observing SA having them in operation now for a few years that they aren't exactly watching them "fly out the front door" with customer orders.

Just my 2 pesos...

Atlas have come to terms with Boeing over the -8 delays. I assume they have a bunch of Boeing bucks to spend on their own, without the hassles of buying others problems.

Even if you are mighty Atlas and Boeing owes you, no body can simply snap there fingers and get a 777. the orders and positions where bought and placed years ago. If you see a 777f on the used market you let me know

What kind of contracts are all of Southerns 777's under? Are they long term with DHL? Kinda limits the options of what Atlas can do with them.

BTW, I don't think Southern owns them, the holding company does. So they would be leased or have to be added.

Gotta remember, corporations don't get in big hurries. -8's were ordered 7 years ago. They can put in an order for 777's down the road.

Latest resources

Back