Some US Airlines Outsource Maintenance to Central America

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

anjinoo7

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Taken from an articleoffof KWYnewsradio's website. I am not sure how acurate it may be,judge for yourselves or maybe someone from these airlines can confirm.

There's more outsourcing ofjobs--now it's the airlines industry. The latest, preferredlocationforairline maintenance? El Salvador.

The Wall Street Journal reportsat least two airlines -- JetBlueandAmerica West -- send their planesto El Salvador for"longdistance"maintenance, outsourcing the work tocut costs.

Air safety experts are said be concerned that it jeopardizes safety and makes scrutiny by regulatory agencies more difficult.
[/font]

Hum, now if they load the plane up with some of those hotties from down there...when they are done with the heavy maintance....I think WE all would be happier:)

The secretaries down there make the trip well worth it. I would outsource all my maint. especially if I had to stay down there and supervise it. There is a lot more to it than meets the eye.

So...how can the FAA enforce actions against a maintenance shop which is located in a country where it has no jurisdiction? The same we they approve foreign airines to operate in the US?

>>>>>So...how can the FAA enforce actions against a maintenance shop which is located in a country where it has no jurisdiction? The same we they approve foreign airines to operate in the US?

It is probably a FAA repair station. You don't have to be withingh te US to be an FAA repair station. A few years back I had dealings with an outfit in Bogata which was an FAA repair station. As I recall, they had approval for overhaul of PT-6's and Allison 250 engines ... or maybe it was a lesser Mx approval... anyway, the point was that they were working on turbine engines with the blessing of the FAA....and yes thay had nice looking secretaries.

Yes, AWA takes some of the Airbus work down to El Salvador. I don't know how many planes or how often, but I've heard that it is done.

Since we are an approved 121 airline, all our maintenance must be done by an FAA approved shop. If the shop is outside our borders, the FAA sends inspectors down regularly to keep an eye on things. If there were to be hints of sloppy work, the FAA would come down on them like a ton of bricks. There's too much competition in the maintenance world for them to slack on the work.

HAL

The article was in yesterday's WSJ. Probably paying about $2 an hour down there. I bet the hourly wage difference makes for larger bonuses up top.......

Mr. I.

Latest resources

Back