• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Swerpipe

My Favorite Customer
Southwest Groupies,

I can not say who told me this, only that the person KNOWS (it wasn't just a chief pilot) and the person is definitely in a position to know.

1)SWA will let the pool drain to about 60 pilots at a minumum before they are forced to put more pilots in the pool.

2)The online app system is due to come online in December but it could change if they run into problems

3)People that have their apps in may have to resubmit them electronically so that they can be updated. My guess is that if they call you for an interview before you resubmit it electronically then you will not have to. I am sure nobody is going to wait though.

4)This person said there are about 210 pilots in the pool, I thought it was much higher but again this person knows. So in 3.5 months of 40 pilots per month they would have to start interviewing at the latest but since the review board meets about 1 month after your interview (for background checks), make that 2.5 months after classes resume (assuming 40 pilots/month)

5)I asked about updating your info after submitting it the first time if you think than in 1 or 1.5 years something has happened that makes you more competitive and the person said that is not necessary for now...For instance if you submitted your app with 1000 pic turbine and now you have 1500 hrs pic turbine (i.e. not at mins anymore)

6)Finally, the person said read southwest.com read southwest.com read southwest.com for more information. Made me think that more info will be coming out on their website in the near future

Apps on File?

Is there going to be any preference to folks with type ratings and apps already on file (pre-4/1/03)? Or, is it going to be a free-for-all when the computer based app system comes on line? Seems unfair to those of us who've been waiting a while if the free-for-all happens. I trust, knowing SWA the way I think I do, we'll get some heads up before everyone is back in the app window.

Last edited:
Don't know but

I asked if they stopped takings apps because they had too many and the person said no. "We stopped taking apps to start the new system otherwise we would never stop taking apps, we will need them all". SWA keeps close to the chest how people are scored, but it is clear that the type rating really gives you an advantage. Suposedly 800 apps with types now. As far as being competitive: type rating, currency, progression, leadership roles (chief pilot, etc..). I asked a similar question to yours and the only answer was something about going to type rated individuals first in a "competitive" basis.

Last edited:
SWA Application Date

If SWA does call based on when the application was recieved, when did everyone put their app in?

Just so we can get a rough idea where we would stand in line.

NO FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE

I've talked to LL several times, and the recurring items she's told me about being competitive for interview date are:

1) Type Rating
2) Being current
3) Upgrading in current aircraft

If you are furloughed and Mr. Mom and/or working at as gas station, #2 most likely doesn't work for you. If you've gone from 747 captain to Cessna 172 flight engineer (LOL), #3 doesn't work for you. It doesn't matter if you had your app in Feb 2002 or April 2003, what you're doing right now matters.

Obviously, what you put on your update sheet back in February this year is the only thing they probably have on you. And, I don't know if they plan to have another update before interviews start.

But, to reemphasize, LL says first come, first serve isn't a factor in getting an interview. Competitiveness is.

I've been told a bit different by LL. I sent in my app with type at the end of January 2002. LL has told me on more than one occasion that my order for the interview wouldn't change. However, I guess I am "competitive"- I've got the type, I'm current, and I can't go any higher at my company.

If only I had started flying three weeks earlier. . . before the April 1 (as well as I remember the deadline for not having the type to apply) I was at 980 turbine PIC. Who knows, maybe I could be in that blessed pool with the other 210 of you (or could have started my 2 year wait. . . . ugh). Oh well, just keep hoping for that day to come!

Anyone going to Higher Power in October? I just found out my airplane (the joy of single-ship fleets!) is going to be down for Phase 5 (thank you Cessna), TCAS, RVSM, EGPWS and ELT for a month!!!!!!!!. Time to get the type. Hope to see a few other SWA wannabes there.

Kevin

I have second hand information from a friend of a friend.

But he tells me that when the electronic form comes out, everyone will have to reapply.

Interviews will then be based on qualifications, not the order the applications were received in. So even if you have an application on file, it doesn't mean you will be interviewed before someone who submits an application when the window re-opens.

I know that isn't the news you wanted to hear if you are one of the 600 applicants with a type waiting for an interview, but it is the rumor I heard.

-LFD

this is probably true based on what I have heard. However, many of the 600+- that are already in the pile with types will get interviews prior to the online app process being completed.

The online apps will be accepted for several months before the first pilot is selected for an interview based on the online process. (so I hear)
It is my understanding that they are going to do this so there will be enough applicatants in the computer to get a true "competitive" baseline to select by.

So hopefully, this wont be a concern for some of us.

Free for all

Knelson,

Since you didn't have the experience required when they closed the app window, you are not loosing anything. Nobody else is applying and they are not interviewing. However, have you app ready with the type when the window opens up again. There are now 800+ types on file and when everybody re-applies it will probably be a free for all. It's actually going to be subjective and they will use competive criteria. So my advice is to have everything ready so that you apply hours not days after it opens.
They can interview 150-200 pilots per month so things will happen fast! Good luck...

Latest resources

Back