Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Some questions regarding check rides....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rabbit

Hey All!

I was wondering if I could get some of your input for a human factors project I'm working on....

Specifically, I'm interested in the way today's airline pilots approach their initial, recurrent and upgrade check rides. If interested, I'd appreciate your insights into the following questions:

1. How much preparation time (in hours) do you put into your recurrent checks?
  2. If you feel anxiety or fear before your checks, how would you rate this on a scale from 1-10 with 10 being the worst?
  3. Do you feel that your self-study has left you well prepared for your check? (yes/no)
  4. Do you fear failing your check rides? (yes/no)
Feel free to answer any/all questions that speak to you. If you would rather PM me than reply directly to this thread, that is fine as well. All information is strictly confidential. If you could include a ball park of your experience (TT/type/major/regional) it would also be very helpful.

Many thanks for all the help! My project is only as good as the information I receive, so please help out if you have a few minutes to spare.

All the best,

rabbit

2 solid months to prepare (newhire), pilots aren't scared, and everybody is nervous when it comes to a checkride

I used to know a guy that puked before EVERY check ride. We all get checkride-itis.

Some say it gets better over the years, but I can safely say that after 16 years, I still get Sim-itis.........bad. I have had multiple real emergencies and 2 engine failures. I safely handled them with very little stress..... but......I would rather have a real engine failure than even set foot in a simulator. I don't know why. I think it is because we are almost all type-A personalities and the sim will really humble you.

My friend has been at Delta for over 30 years and he sequesters himself away from his wife and kids for 2+ weeks before his recurrent check. So for many it is a stressful time.

All I can recommend. Is use that energy to focus and prepare the best you can.

The best weapon for nerves is preparation. The ride should be a letdown.

Last edited:
0 prep time. Don't worry about failing. No stress at all. And I hate self study but I also hate classroom time.

Hey All!

I was wondering if I could get some of your input for a human factors project I'm working on....

Specifically, I'm interested in the way today's airline pilots approach their initial, recurrent and upgrade check rides. If interested, I'd appreciate your insights into the following questions:

1. How much preparation time (in hours) do you put into your recurrent checks?
  2. If you feel anxiety or fear before your checks, how would you rate this on a scale from 1-10 with 10 being the worst?
  3. Do you feel that your self-study has left you well prepared for your check? (yes/no)
  4. Do you fear failing your check rides? (yes/no)
Feel free to answer any/all questions that speak to you. If you would rather PM me than reply directly to this thread, that is fine as well. All information is strictly confidential. If you could include a ball park of your experience (TT/type/major/regional) it would also be very helpful.

Many thanks for all the help! My project is only as good as the information I receive, so please help out if you have a few minutes to spare.

All the best,

rabbit
Regional, 14 years, CRJ, 9000-10,0000 hours.
1. I usually start about a month prior. For some reason I can't do a lick of studying until I see the actual date, so I can mentally start figuring exactly how much time I have left. Not sure about total hours, but maybe in the ballpark of 10-20?
2. Moderate anxiety, so let's say 5 on a scale of 1-10. For me personally this has gotten much better over the years. I also agree with Coopervane that I'd rather deal with a real emergency in the real airplane. Maybe it's because in a real emergency you just do what needs to be done, without worrying about someone looking over your shoulder in real time, ready to stop the action and tell you you've majorly screwed up.
3. Yes.
4. Yes. Sounds contradictory, but as Coopervane said, the sim can be humbling. Even though I've never failed a single sim, I know all it takes is having a bad day combined with a bad instructor having a bad day...you've all heard the stories.

There's probably a lot of twisted psychology going on for a lot of pilots (myself included), as I've never met anyone who didn't display some signs of apprehension before a ride, internet bluster aside. I think it comes down to the fact that we tend to identify ourselves as pilots, and we like to think we're pretty good pilots, and so it becomes stressful if that identity is ever questioned, either objectively by the sim or especially subjectively by another pilot telling you you screwed up and are not the perfect pilot. We all know the reality of this, but nobody likes to hear it.

Hi Guys!

Many, many thanks for the very honest responses...this is exactly the information I'm trying to quantify. I truly appreciate your honesty.

Anyone else? The input could go a long way to helping us all.

I'm especially interested in hearing from anyone who dreads checkrides...

What aspect causes the most grief?

Thanks again to everyone who has responded.

Wishing you all a great holiday.

rabbit

I've got a fair amount of hours (not 10k) but I haven't screwed up too bad yet but when I strap on virtual reality with someone I've known for a short time waiting for a screw up I get nervous. It's like I go to wal-mart and use one of those blood pressure things and I'm 130/70 or lower but when that ME comes in I hope I can keep it below Faa mins....I think it has something to do with your livelyhood being on the line that adds to the stress level. It's almost like if jay cutler goes out on the field and he throws one interception he looses his his house, cars financial well being... Everything!!! I agree a real inflight emergency has a different level of anxiety and stress. Training has an important role but I believe it should be a learning experience and a time to review the what if's.... Just my views

From Private Pilot to now, some 30 (maybe more) checkrides. 9 types. SIC rides, PIC rides, Line Checks, blah blah blah. You never get comfy, but you do get to the point where fear goes away and you see it all as "just another damned thing you gotta do".
Don't work yourself up too much.

Latest resources

Back