Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

wrxpilot

The proud, the few
While not interested in an airline career, I would like to be involved w/ charter and eventually freight. I'm currently doing the FBO thing, and look forward to the day I become a CFI and get to teach. I strongly disagree with PFT and am disgusted people would "break in" to the business that way. Anyway, I ran across this thread on another board and found the last post to be fairly interesting:

http://www.studentpilot.com/interact/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16193&perpage=15&pagenumber=3

Assuming this guy's legit, is it possible that PFT'rs are now being seen as undesirable?

The average company, particularly in charter and freight, does not really care who paid for what. They are looking at what you have done and the times you have. A good company interviews and questions the applicant, checks out their background from an employment and character point of view and gives check rides to see how oyu do in the cockpit.

While some may distain the people who elect to utilize their reources to pay for training, the fact is that many companies will not hire and train pilots. They look for applicants that meet certain criteria, those tht have type rating as example. If you do not have it, you will not be hired.

Southwest Airlines is a good example. You need to have the rating at someone elses expense, yours or anyone elses, they could not care which.

Airline hiring boards are made up of a combination of line pilots, HR people and sometimes managment personal. If a line pilot doesn't like something on your resume, your gone. I would say most line pilots strongly oppose PFT, and those who do it.

I wouldn't say most. Have you ever worked at an airline that had PFT in the past? I have. Maybe a lot of line pilots didnt' like it, but would they be so bold as to try to justify not hiring someone because of PFT in their past? I'm not so sure.

PS, just so you understand my bias, I refused to PFT, and told the company I worked for that they could call me when they dropped the policy. I went to work for them after they no longer had PFT.

P-f-t

wrxpilot said:
Assuming this guy's legit, is it possible that PFT'rs are now being seen as undesirable?
Name a time when P-F-T'ers were seen as desirable. The answer to your question is "yes."
Publishers said:
The average company, particularly in charter and freight, does not really care who paid for what. They are looking at what you have done and the times you have. A good company interviews and questions the applicant, checks out their background from an employment and character point of view and gives check rides to see how oyu do in the cockpit.
Pub is correct. Management might not care one iota how you obtained your experience, but your peers will. And, pilot hiring boards are comprised of your future peers. The vast majority of pilots work hard and have sacrificed a lot to get where they are, and resent those who shortcut the process through illegitimate means. In other words, there might be members of a pilot hiring board who would be apt to blackball someone who has P-F-T'd. Just some food for thought.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back