Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Solution to TSA Problem...Who is with me?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JustaNumber

I believe Michael Roberts made a good statement, but I don't think it had the impact it could have had, because he was only commuting to work. Here is what I am going to do: If I am singled out for 4th Amendment violation by the government on a trip that I will be OPERATING, I will refuse. Since they only seem to target one individual at a time, I will instruct my First Officer to continue to the gate, and ask the gate agent to personally be able to make a PA concerning the status of the flight. He will then announce that the flight has been cancelled due to the captain not allowing the government to touch his genitals. Please direct all complaints to Janet Napolitano, or her boss Barack Obama.

This kicks the game up a serious notch. Now the airlines will have become involved, as scores of passengers will be irate. It will get much more serious press coverage. I also believe my airline would face intense public pressure not to fire me, although if they did anyway, it would be okay with me. For those who have read any of my postings over the years, you know that I love flying, it is my passion, and it is my primary career of choice. I do not have a secondary or backup source of income; I may lose my house. But I feel there comes a point at which citizens must stand firm against a tyrannical government. The U.S. Constitution is extremely clear in this case--there is no exception to the 4th amendment "...except in an airport, except if the citizen is at work, except if we say he might be a terrorist, or..." whatever bs they come up with. This is the line in the sand that I am drawing. They can take my job and shove it.

So are there any other pilots who are brave enough to stand with me?

Won't work unless it's a collective effort. Something needs to be done, but the only way to organize this is to have ALPA put something out there "recommending" we do not go through any AIT screening (has that been done yet?) and should have pat downs and genital grabbing done in a separate area, wasting both time and resources. When enough flights miss on-time departures coded for "security" they will have to do something.

But as long as we have pansies running the country club, we're not going to get anywhere.

Does your FOM have a statement that you will adhere to any security measures required?
It is interesting the way you phrased your question, using the words "ANY security measures REQUIRED". Where do you draw the line? What if the TSA wanted to require you to submit to a body cavity search?

My FOM first and foremost on the subject of security says, "The Captain has ultimate responsibility for flight security." So it is contradictory. Does the Captain have ultimate responsibility, or does the TSA have ultimate responsibility? It can't be both, the word ultimate has meaning.

My FOM does say "Pilots must cooperate and comply with security personnel requests, including the use of hand held metal detectors and patdown inspections." There is a difference between a "patdown" inspection and a full groin-grab. I find it amazing that there are so many pilots who lack anything to grab.

Won't work unless it's a collective effort. Something needs to be done, but the only way to organize this is to have ALPA put something out there "recommending" we do not go through any AIT screening (has that been done yet?) and should have pat downs and genital grabbing done in a separate area, wasting both time and resources. When enough flights miss on-time departures coded for "security" they will have to do something.

But as long as we have pansies running the country club, we're not going to get anywhere.

While it would be ideal to have our leaders instruct us in how to stand up for ourselves, if they won't do it, we can and must still stand up for ourselves. I disagree with you that one person can't make a difference. A crewmember causing a flight to be cancelled over TSA "over-reaching" (pun intended) would be a huge media story. This thing WILL go away. You as an individual are more powerful than you think--you are not one of the "pansies". That is what this country is all about: the power of the individual.

I'm with you and have already made the same decision, I will not ever agree to someone touching my junk to go to work. I can find other work. The safety of flight will be compromised do to my rage/sick feeling after I let some dirt bag play with my coin bag.

I don't think the rest of you realize how much this will affect your careers. There is already a public backlash starting regarding these scanners and procedures. People are refusing to fly commercially. This will significantly reduce demand for flying if it is not stopped. If you do not stand up, you may eventually find your job disappears anyway.

Latest resources

Back