Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

WateryGrave

Blue Koolaid Drinker
Anybody know anywhere to do some soaring in the area of Greensboro NC. Somewhere even Raleigh or Charlotte would do. Probably not the best time of year for it, but I'll be ready for the spring at least!

Soaring NC

Lillington, NC has a soaring club. Mostly weekends.

Bermuda High Soaring Lancaster,SC. Commercial operation.

Plenty of nice places out west.
Warner Springs in CA used to be great.
Two schools near Phoenix. Estrella soaring is tops.
Colorado is said to have great conditions. Colorado Springs.

Find the best planes and instructors. Don't worry about price. The extra money is well worth it.

Look for the best flying weather over everything esle.

Having been there and done that..I recommend going somewhere on vacation and doing the complete commerical pilot glider rating (solo+20 flights). Private is 10 flights after solo. Go where the weather is good and knock it out as fast as possible. Then come back to your local sailplane flying club and get a basic checkout. Otherwise, you will spend weeks or months trying to "get in line" with all the other flyers at the local club.

Go with a buddy who wants to get a rating also. Helps with passing the down time.

Good Luck

Last edited:
Lillington, NC has a soaring club. Mostly weekends.

Bermuda High Soaring Lancaster,SC. Commercial operation.

Plenty of nice places out west.
Warner Springs in CA used to be great.
Two schools near Phoenix. Estrella soaring is tops.
Colorado is said to have great conditions. Colorado Springs.

Find the best planes and instructors. Don't worry about price. The extra money is well worth it.

Look for the best flying weather over everything esle.

Having been there and done that..I recommend going somewhere on vacation and doing the complete commerical pilot glider rating (solo+20 flights). Private is 10 flights after solo. Go where the weather is good and knock it out as fast as possible. Then come back to your local sailplane flying club and get a basic checkout. Otherwise, you will spend weeks or months trying to "get in line" with all the other flyers at the local club.

Go with a buddy who wants to get a rating also. Helps with passing the down time.

Good Luck

Thanks man, I appreciate all of the input. I actually knocked out all of the ratings a long time ago, at Warner Springs actually, and that place is still great! I still try to fly out there about once a month or so when I go back to visit California.

The reason I was looking for something in NC is that I'll probably be living here for a few years and wanted someplace to fly that didn't involve a cross country commute.

Thanks for the advice, I'll check those places out.

Latest resources

Back