Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

So I was reading the SkyWest SAPA Forums...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
All pilots is [sic] so smart....oye.

The ORD de-ice is not a Skywest policy. It's a United policy. United does not want you to be called "out" until you're within 60 seconds of actually moving the plane. It is the policy they impose on all the UAX carriers that operate out of ORD, and it's because de-icing is done at the gate, should it change to a remote area, then you're obviously going to be on the clock since you taxied the plane there.

I think it's a crap rule. No, I do not agree with it, but I am clarifying it, since some think that it's something Skywest management conceived on their own. Direct the blame at United management for that one.

Since when does United control how SkyWest pays its ORD based pilots?

Since when does United control how SkyWest pays its ORD based pilots?

Nor do the pilots at UAL get payed until they are ready to push back from the gate and drop the brakes. I talked to a UAL pilot once about this policy and he said their MEC decided it would take too much money and years to sue United over this. Wow! What good is their union?

Last edited:
It has been in our SOP for a long time. It was a memo about 3 years ago and a carpet dance by over 300 pilots two years ago that changed when we actually drop the brake to get paid. It was SkyWest that refused to pay us from the time we were ready to get deiced and pushed. GoJet gets paid for this ORD deice time and they fall under the same UAL rules as SkyWest.

Nor do the pilots at UAL get payed until they are ready to push back from the gate and drop the brakes. I talked to a UAL pilot once about this policy and he said their MEC decided it would take too much money and years to sue United over this. Wow! What good is their union?

"Payed?" Really, dude?

EPIC FAIL!

"It has been in our SOP for a long time. It was a memo about 3 years ago and a carpet dance by over 300 pilots ..."

That was one of the reasons I was one of the eight to quit SKYW in May. You spend half of every day working for free (technically $1.65/hr). Then you sit there with a plane load of pax, waiting for ramp tower to bless you, before the clock starts ticking. Kudos the CAs who exclaim, "I accidently dropped the parking brake - it slipped right out of my hand!" Those CAs aren't just thinking about themselves - they have an FO and one or two severely undepaid flight attendants as well. The 5-10-15 mins saved on all those flights, every day, adds up to big savings for the company. To a great extent, the policy reverses Appendix D and UA gets the blame (partly deserved). But it is also money out of the crews' (incl FAs) pockets. This is a crew compensation issue that should be dealt with by the employees' collective bargaining agents, SAPA & SIA. Have fun with that one ...

AWAC has a PUSH time on ACARS that starts the pay clock for the crew (when I left three years ago it was main/cargo doors closed, beacon on, parking brake off), and a separate OUT time (push criteria + oil pressure on at least one engine) for departure time statistics.

Sounds like that could be an option to get crews paid for the time they're in control of the airplane without upsetting the UAL apple cart...but then again, that'd cost the company money so its probably a non-starter.

Sounds like that could be an option to get crews paid for the time they're in control of the airplane without upsetting the UAL apple cart...but then again, that'd cost the company money so its probably a non-starter.

Sure that could be an option.....for a pilot group with a union.

Latest resources

Back