Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

So how are you supplementing your income?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Love the idea of the airline pilot looking for a second job driving trucks, so that he can travel for free!

Food stamps!

Hey, I heard that 2 American Eagle pilots went together (don't know if this was recent or what) to where ever you go for this, in full uniform and applied for food stamps. Not sure if they were trying to make a point but I heard that Eagle got hold of this and fired the two for inappropriate wearing of their uniform. Anyone know if this whole story is true?

That is really classy (sarcasm abounds). No one in the Unemployment Office/Welfare cares what you are wearing, every one else will just assume you are security guard, postal worker, etc. To whom were they making a point? Unless a pilot has a non-working spouse with four kids, no pilot at Eagle makes a small enough amount of money to qualify for food stamps, unless the pilot drops all of their trips. Give us all a break!

Last edited:
What do you rent? I also have no idea what this means.

Own and rent professional audio and lighting equipment for live music events. Concerts, weddings, corporate events. The business primarily takes place on weekends. I have a handful of labor hands that handle moving and setup and I and one other technician are the equipment operators during the events.

I repair machine guns.

I work a 10 hour shift once a week at CVS @ 10$/hr It gives me an extra 350$ a month. I also work a few hours a week at Gamestop for the discounts and free game rentals....yeah Im still a kid I put all the money towards my credit card. Its been great!!

I just read about a guy running a medical marijuana place in Calif that needs good help... sounds like fun...

To the original poster, here's a serious answer to your question. Obviously you weren't born part of the "lucky sperm club" and you probably have no one lined up to marry that's already rich, so you might want to try what I did; I learned how to trade the markets.

It will take some time, discipline and, study on your part, but if you're willing to do that, you will find that you will actually be well-served for the rest of your life, no matter how long you continue to fly.

I, like so many others in this industry since Orville & Wilbur, have had my up & downs too. And I just decided that while I may love flying as much as the next guy or gal, I'm just not willing to sacrifice my QOL just to be out pushing a piece of metal. I have, as they say, "flip the script". In other words, flying itself has become a "secondary" source of income. Trading is a business and I treat it as such, as should you. A few of the best things I love about doing it: No employees (and those hassles), I can do it sitting on the couch at home or sitting on the beach in Cancun, I start & stop when I want to, all I need is a computer and a internet connection, ect; get the picture?! YOU are in control. How much you can make is up to you and again, once you've learned it, you'll have the knowledge and comfort of knowing that no matter what happens in your flying career, you will always be able to make it. It's a nice feeling to know if a cutback, layoff, furlough comes your way, you can say "So what!" and not worry about how you're going to pay your bills.

Go to a book store (or library), find a book on the ABC's of investing, PICK an area and master it, study it, practice it, open a demo account at a brokerage and play with the funny money. When you can make a profit around 7 out of 10 trades consistently, then put in a SMALL amount of money into a real account and see if you can double it and go from there. Don't get greedy!!!! Slow and steady is the name of the game.

I hope my two cents worth has given you some tactical, as well as strategic ideas. If you've had enough fortitude and discipline to become a professional pilot, then you certainly have the right stuff to learn something that will take care of you the rest of your life. There are plenty of people out there right now who are riding out this recession comfortably because they have NOT allowed anyone else to control their destiny. It's all up to you. As I'm fond of saying, "I've signed the front of the paycheck and I've signed the back; signing the front is much better"

Good luck in your career and hope it all works out for you.

That is really classy (sarcasm abounds). No one in the Unemployment Office/Welfare cares what you are wearing, every one else will just assume you are security guard, postal worker, etc. To whom were they making a point? Unless a pilot has a non-working spouse with four kids, no pilot at Eagle makes a small enough amount of money to qualify for food stamps, unless the pilot drops all of their trips. Give us all a break!

nobody would believe for a second you were a postal worker! Those guys make tons more than most pilots and are far more respected even by large german shepherds and other canines. Screw this I want to be a dentist. spend all day starring down your hygienists blouse while you try to decide if you want a ferrari or a boat and finally after struggling with all that you decide on a porsche and a boat.

Latest resources

Back