Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

XPOO

You are now free to...
After months of being the worst kept secret in quite some time, it is now official.

This summer, four US Airways CRJ200 aircraft will transition out of the US Airways network and will be replaced by four CRJ900s. The CRJ900s will fly out of the PHX hub on existing SkyWest routes beginning July 1. The four CRJ200s will be absorbed into the existing network and replace other CRJ200s naturally coming off lease.

Game on, Mesa.

These are the ex-Air MeKong -900's.

Game on Mesa! LOL.... It's almost like calling a retard for double dribble in basketball. Sometimes you just got let things go!

Game on Mesa! LOL.... It's almost like calling a retard for double dribble in basketball. Sometimes you just got let things go!

What? I cant poke some fun at the competition? I'll use winky faces and sarcasm text for you from here on out.

Cool? ;)

After months of being the worst kept secret in quite some time, it is now official.

This summer, four US Airways CRJ200 aircraft will transition out of the US Airways network and will be replaced by four CRJ900s. The CRJ900s will fly out of the PHX hub on existing SkyWest routes beginning July 1. The four CRJ200s will be absorbed into the existing network and replace other CRJ200s naturally coming off lease.

Game on, Mesa.

LOL GAME ON... thats funny.

A more accurate (less misleading) title to the thread would be "SkyWest to replace CRJ200s with CRJ900s with USAirways" This is a common trend these days... you should know, as your company is dealing with similar transitions with Delta.

You may not have heard the whole story behind this USAirways thing, however... I had heard this was coming a while back. Airways basically had to force this on SkyWest, as they did not want to replace the 200s in PHX (understandably), but were given an ultimatum due to poor performance (aka Airways can terminate contracts if metrics aren't met). I was told this by someone who was on a conference call for express. Do you know how much (or little) more OO is being paid to fly the 900s in place of the 200s? The details (if they are as they were relayed to me - I can't confirm) MAY surprise you.

Keep in mind that these are not replacing YV flying, they are replacing existing OO flying. YV was the one that got ADDITIONAL flying (rumor has it that more is coming). This is just an equipment replacement... hardly worth celebrating. So far this story is playing out exactly as I was told it would a few months back... if it continues to follow the course that my source said it would (and has so far been correct), you might be surprised at how it may end.

Good call by OO to comply with Airways request... may have just dodged a bullet there!

Last edited:
But if you look at some August flying schedules (of course I did not look at every date and city) there were NO OO 900's on the schedule. Even on obvious cities (PSP and FAT), no OO 9's. If you all see something different on airways schedules, post the proof.

But if you look at some August flying schedules (of course I did not look at every date and city) there were NO OO 900's on the schedule. Even on obvious cities (PSP and FAT), no OO 9's. If you all see something different on airways schedules, post the proof.

Although I'm not the one who posted this originally, I DO believe that this IS happening.

I didn't mention this earlier, but supposedly the 4 -900s that are coming to the PHX system have been on-hand for quite some time. Someone had told me they were excess airplanes from the ASA-side. Before this announcement, Mesa's MX team in TUS had been asked to look at the airframes as OO was looking at getting rid of them. At the time, some MX personnel had told me that they were all beat-to-hell even by Mesa's standards, and they recommended not buying them. I'm not sure if that is why the transaction didn't happen, of if SkyWest decided they needed them, but obviously those birds did not come to Mesa.

Whether or not these are actually the planes being brought online to USAirways, I do not know. I guess we will find out when they show up on line. But if that's the case, it totally makes sense that this is happening. Had also heard from reliable sources that there was significant pressure from USAirways as they have been unhappy overall with the performance (completion, bumped pax, and fuel burn) of the 200 operation thus far.

Even if it's not a net gain of flying, I'd say this is a good thing for SkyWest as long as they are able to shed an equal or greater number of 200 leases. The fewer 50 seaters they have on property, the better off they will be. The sheer number of 50-seat aircraft on property at OO would concern me, so this is a step in the right direction.

LOL GAME ON... thats funny.

A more accurate (less misleading) title to the thread would be "SkyWest to replace CRJ200s with CRJ900s with USAirways" This is a common trend these days... you should know, as your company is dealing with similar transitions with Delta.

You may not have heard the whole story behind this USAirways thing, however... I had heard this was coming a while back. Airways basically had to force this on SkyWest, as they did not want to replace the 200s in PHX (understandably), but were given an ultimatum due to poor performance (aka Airways can terminate contracts if metrics aren't met). I was told this by someone who was on a conference call for express. Do you know how much (or little) more OO is being paid to fly the 900s in place of the 200s? The details (if they are as they were relayed to me - I can't confirm) MAY surprise you.

Keep in mind that these are not replacing YV flying, they are replacing existing OO flying. YV was the one that got ADDITIONAL flying (rumor has it that more is coming). This is just an equipment replacement... hardly worth celebrating. So far this story is playing out exactly as I was told it would a few months back... if it continues to follow the course that my source said it would (and has so far been correct), you might be surprised at how it may end.

Good call by OO to comply with Airways request... may have just dodged a bullet there!

Reread Post #4 and take a chill pill. Also, the original contract with US Airways states that all 14 aircraft are upgradable to a larger frame CRJ at anytime SkyWest chooses. Relax.

Although I'm not the one who posted this originally, I DO believe that this IS happening.

I didn't mention this earlier, but supposedly the 4 -900s that are coming to the PHX system have been on-hand for quite some time. Someone had told me they were excess airplanes from the ASA-side. Before this announcement, Mesa's MX team in TUS had been asked to look at the airframes as OO was looking at getting rid of them. At the time, some MX personnel had told me that they were all beat-to-hell even by Mesa's standards, and they recommended not buying them. I'm not sure if that is why the transaction didn't happen, of if SkyWest decided they needed them, but obviously those birds did not come to Mesa.

Whether or not these are actually the planes being brought online to USAirways, I do not know. I guess we will find out when they show up on line. But if that's the case, it totally makes sense that this is happening. Had also heard from reliable sources that there was significant pressure from USAirways as they have been unhappy overall with the performance (completion, bumped pax, and fuel burn) of the 200 operation thus far.

Even if it's not a net gain of flying, I'd say this is a good thing for SkyWest as long as they are able to shed an equal or greater number of 200 leases. The fewer 50 seaters they have on property, the better off they will be. The sheer number of 50-seat aircraft on property at OO would concern me, so this is a step in the right direction.

SkyWest is making money off their CRJ200s, however, ExpressJet's ERJs are a different story. You have no clue what you are talking about. Also, SkyWest has more CRJ700s (94) than Mesa has total aircraft. Thanks for playing.

The 4 900s are not ASA's, they are owned by Skywest Inc's leasing subsidiary. They were subleased to Air Mekong, which went Tango Uniform.

Latest resources

Back