SkyWest Pilots Secret Balloting to Begin Next Week

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ASAFOE120

The National Mediation Board (NMB) has authorized a secret-ballot representation election for the pilots who fly for SkyWest Airlines. The balloting period will begin on October 9 and continue until November 6. On October 9, a full-page ad on the importance of union representation is scheduled to appear in the “News” section of USA TODAY. Be sure to pick up a copy to see the ad.

ALPA members are encouraged to talk to SkyWest pilots about voting for ALPA representation in the NMB election. The SkyWest Pilots ALPA Organizing Committee and ALPA representatives are hosting informational meetings in four of the bases that SkyWest currently serves (DEN, LAX, ORD, and SLC).

Game on!

To my fellow Skywest pilots,

Please take the time to educate yourselves and vote your conscience. If it's voted down this time, your next shot at legal representation will probably be quite some time down the road. Talk to some of the guys/gals who were Anti-union during the last drive. Has their tune changed? Did management keep their promises? Find an old timer and ask about J.A.'s promise to keep our compensation at the top of the industry. Talk to those who were not paid while in training. Was the company in financial hardship? Anytime in the last 10 years has Skywest been in financial hardship? Right now our pay and work rules basically consist of a handshake between us and management. From a legal standpoint the policy manual is not worth the paper it is written on (might be of some use if one runs out of toilet paper). If you think things won't change/be taken away from you after the drive (if it fails) then you do not understand the history of our company. Let's get this stuff in writing on a legally binding document. Do your homework and vote accordingly.

Well, in that case it is useless. Been trying to think outside the box here.

If you you're in SLC, DEN, COS, ORD, or MKE this winter on first year pay you can use it to start a fire. Lord knows you can't afford heating oil AND ramen @ $19.26. Maybe the override will buy a duraflame.

I say "Nuke em till they glow" !!!

I LEARNED ABOUT FLYING FROM THAT!
by Capt. E. P. F., The Company® WIDEBODY, Domicile

On the evening of July 4, F/O John T. and I, due to severe weather impacting the Philippine Island area, were assigned a revised pairing requiring us to jumpseat on an WIDEBODY from Subic Bay to Taipei. Of the six WIDEBODY crewmembers assigned to travel to Taipei, I was by far the most senior and, unquestionably, the most experienced crewmember, having more than 13 years of international experience as a captain, including seven years in the WIDEBODY. For some reason, in their wisdom, crew scheduling assigned the least senior captain to actually fly the leg to TPE—a captain with less than one year’s experience as a PIC on a widebody aircraft. At that time, not one but two typhoons were simultaneously lashing the Philippines from the northeast and southwest; these storms ultimately killed scores of local residents. The Company’s Subic flight operations were closed due to the storm, and remained closed for several days as typhoons Kirogi and Kai Tak battered their way through the Luzon Strait. The plane that I was to leave on was the last—and only—aircraft scheduled to leave Subic Bay.

In my 23 years of operating transport category aircraft, experience and common sense have taught me that it is wise to avoid intentionally flying into hazardous weather phenomena such as squall line thunderstorms, tornadoes and other cyclonic events (hurricanes or typhoons), and severe wind shear (aloft or on the surface). SFS is an inherently dangerous airport, and when you combine it with severe weather you have tremendous potential for disaster. Dismiss me as over-conservative if you wish, but my suggestion was to delay the flight until we could see what the typhoons were doing in terms of intensity and movement. The operating captain felt that it was safe to depart, which was his prerogative. Another player in the “go/no go” debate was the Assistant Chief Pilot Subic Bay, who, along with the Domicile Duty Officer, felt that the weather we were experiencing was “seasonal monsoonal flow and perfectly safe to operate in.” To make a long story short, T. (making his own, independent decision) and I decided it was foolhardy to take off at that time. Nevertheless, we were directed to depart on the aircraft. We refused—out of fear for our personal safety. We immediately contacted our Subic UNION representative and briefed him extensively on the situation. He and the UNION Grievance Committee representatives in Domicile told us what to expect from flight management. As they predicted, we were both relieved from flight status the next day, and we were ordered to return to Domicile for a preliminary hearing with the ACP WIDEBODY.

At no time during the days leading up to the hearing did T. or I expect disciplinary action to result from this incident. We were convinced that we had made the proper decision not to depart based on safety concerns. Additionally, we told the duty officer that we would strenuously attempt to get our pairing back on schedule once the typhoons moved out. What we expected was a safety debrief, and little else. Surely, we felt, common sense would prevail once the facts were made known. However, the meeting that was held was disciplinary in nature. And although the facts were presented succinctly, to our dismay, we were both sent letters of termination on August 4.
We appealed this decision, of course. With guidance, support, and representation from UNION, T. and I attended a Level 2 Appeal Hearing before the vice president of flight operations on August 22. Again, we felt the facts of the case would exonerate us once a fair-minded and reasonable management pilot examined the evidence and testimony.

However, on September 8., claiming that my “asserted reasons for refusing to depart were not reasonable under the circumstances…” and wishing me luck in my future endeavors, the VP of Flight Op’s unceremoniously upheld my termination.

After 23 straight years of discipline-free and loyal service, I was fired with extreme prejudice for refusing management’s order to depart into intensely hazardous weather that I strongly felt was unsafe. If anyone is looking for a term that describes this event, it is called “pilot pushing”—something that was quite common many years ago in commercial aviation. If any of you, my fellow crewmembers, think that the flight management team at The Company is not embracing this “motivational tool,” you’re in serious denial. The sad part of this is that some inexperienced or intimidated captain is going to one day succumb to a management “push,” and a catastrophe will result.

We, as a pilot group, must understand that this management team is zealous in their pursuit of system efficiency. In my opinion, words such as “paranoid,” “political,” and “predatory” are not out of line. It is also my opinion that some members of this management team would resort to prevarication in order to fulfill their intended agenda.

As a result, all crewmembers must understand that they are potential targets if they cause problems. We are most certainly disposable. This reality applies to Union members and non-members alike. As a former non-member, I was certain that my professional conduct as an experienced aviator and my intense loyalty as a The Company employee would overcome any hint of disciplinary action if I were able to state my case in a forthright manner. In my arrogance, I felt Union representation was reserved principally for rogues and miscreants, slackers and weak aviators; it was certainly not for the well-intentioned pilot just trying to hammer out a living. Boy, did I get a bite out of the proverbial “reality sandwich,” I’m here to tell you!

What some of you fail to realize is the importance of strong representation, not only because of efforts made to obtain excellent working conditions and pay rates, but most critically for the comfort of knowing that someone is there if your multi-million dollar career is suddenly in jeopardy. This management team is not your friend. Certain folks out there misguidedly believe that these managers care about your personal well-being. Or perhaps some of you believe that if you have a job to do, and you carry it out in a fair-minded, professional manner, life will be swell. Let me repeat for those out there who still think Union representation is a waste of time and money: This management team is not your friend! You cannot hide behind fond memories of the good old days as I have, and you certainly can’t fantasize that Mr. Jones is somehow going to come to your rescue should your “six o’clock” get in trouble. If we did not have the strong representation of The Pilots Association today, my prospects for finding a meaningful airline job would be nil. I would be relegated to flying oil-dripping DC-3’s in some banana republic—the haven for most terminated airline pilots.

I am of the firm belief that flight management had an ulterior motive in terminating me, and it had nothing to do with typhoons, or who was presenting more compelling facts on what was safe or not safe. If The Company had been straightforward in trying to resolve this unfortunate event in an atmosphere of common sense, they would have chosen the proper forum: a safety debrief. Instead, they chose to pick a target and pull the trigger. It was their good fortune to stumble upon a senior captain who was a non-union member, to test the resolve and coffers of the UNION and set a precedent for requiring pilots to do things they consider unsafe. I was their “huckleberry.” Their political objective suggests to me that they want to intimidate the crew force into believing that flight safety is ultimately the domain of flight management and they alone are the final arbiter. Their paranoia is that rogue captains will intentionally disrupt efficient operations by using the “safety card” to ground aircraft during future contract disputes.

A final arbitration hearing was held in mid-November, and both sides presented evidence and witnesses. UNION did a superb job in research, preparation, and presentation. Our attorney (Darrell G.) and the Grievance Committee were masterful. They took on The Company, with its deep pockets and expert legal team, and won. While G. presented indisputable facts, evidence, and reputable pilot witnesses, The Company brought forth unknowledgeable and ill-prepared witnesses, including an overseas flight manager who, in my opinion, misstated what the weather conditions were at the time of departure. The Company also tried to quash evidence showing that the operating and jumpseating crews were duped by flight management into “sanitizing” written statements concerning the actual weather conditions at the time of departure. In short, The Company tried to manufacture a case, and they failed.

It is important to acknowledge the tremendous efforts of the entire UNION team for restoring my career and dignity; I will be forever grateful. The support I received from UNION’s leadership during the three hearings bolstered my sagging morale. The Grievance Committee, especially chairman Capt. Chris B., Capt. Nick N., Capt. John D., and F/O Craig C., were superb. Paralegal Pam H. contributed tireless work. Finally, Legal Counsel Darrell G., possessing an astute legal mind, saved my career.

In closing, I ask that all of you who have had issues or concerns about joining UNION, please set those aside and join as I have. It is critical that you understand who is looking out for your best interests. Along these lines, if you have a conflict with other crewmembers regarding line operations, contact UNION’s nearest representative first, before you sign written documents for management. It just might save your fellow airmen from the trauma of unwarranted termination proceedings. And, on the topic of flight safety, it is imperative that captains understand that safety is your domain, and your domain alone. You, and you alone, are ultimately responsible for your aircraft, crew, and cargo. As far as complying with directives that might put you and your crew in imminent peril, I have no comment, except for you to use your common sense, always.

Latest resources

Back