Skyway/Delta deal not happening..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FSIGRAD

Heard from a couple different sources that a Chinese operator is in the process of inking a deal to purchase ACA's 328s. The aircraft that Skyway was hoping to pick up for their Delta connection deal.
Doesn't look too good for a timely recall for those in my already furloughed class. Anyone from the Oct. 25 Beech class lined anything up yet?
Drop me a PM

Last edited:
FSIGRAD said:
Heard from a couple different sources that a Chinese operator (Hainan Airlines to be exact - SF) is in the process of inking a deal to purchase ACA's 328s. The aircraft that Skyway was hoping to pick up for their Delta connection deal. Doesn't look too good for a timely recall for those in my already furloughed class. Anyone from the Oct. 25 Beech class lined anything up yet?
Drop me a PM

So I'm wondering...

Did you hear this info directly from sources "in the know" (read: sources actually involved with the negotiations between Avcraft and Hainan)? Is Hainan buying all thirty DoJets that are available?

Personally, I'm going to wait for an official announcement from either Skyway, Avcraft, Hainan, Delta, or ACA before getting concerned.

As an FYI, last June, Hainan announced acquisition of SIX Dornier airplanes that was part of an order for 26 planes. See http://news.airwise.com/stories/2004/06/1086346183.html. Granted, things can and do change over six months. But still...

Peace

SF

FSI,

Still looking for a job. I hope that what you say isn't true. I thought that Delta was a co-lessee on the leases. Therefore they would have to sign off on any ownership transfers. If that were the case, I think that we would have heard of about 60 more furloughs from Skyway.

Anyone from ACA care to comment, or have any information.

I know they have bigger more important fish to fry but just curious.

Regards,
D

I could have told you all that last August when they where postponing class date after class date but ooohhh you all wanted that quick upgrade time...nice job tinker bells.

While this is still a rumor, it makes sense which is more than I can say for a lot of rumors on this board.

I've said for months that DL doesn't want (or need) these planes. DL needs larger RJ's...not smaller ones. If the FRJ had been a crucial part of DL's plans, DL would have gotten them back into service a while ago (instead of grounding them for months).

It's unfortunate for all the Skyway guys, but this isn't a reflection on them or on Skyway itself. This is a reflection of a changing industry and the poor economics of the FRJ. The FRJ is not ideal for the low-yield, high volume environment DL is operating in.

It'd be nice if Skyway would pick up a few of the birds to allow for some expansion. While the FRJ may not work for DL, it would seem to work better for Midwest's business model (ie higher yielding, lower volume).

Does it seem like a long shot at this point? Yes. Is it totally a dead deal? No. The thing is that's it's been a long shot from the very beginning. If this thing does somehow go through, people certainly could say that this is one of those "Cinderella Stories." Kind of like some obscure college team making the Final Four.

Delta hasn't cut Skyway off yet. It's still just, "Standby and wait and the earliest we'll need you is May." When the deal is dead everyone will know it. The nightmare of furloughs and displacements will have arrived and we'll deal with that when and if it comes.

Maybe we'll get 10 of the DoJets for Midwest's expansion. We could get almost all 10 at once and not really have a problem with staffing.

I suspect we'll find out about Delta, one way or another, by the end of February. That's just my hunch...nothing official.

Peace

SF

From someone "in the know", the Delta deal is definately not even close to being dead in the water, but is still not a sure thing...Skyway does have a contingency (sp?) plan to buy 5 DO-328s if the deal fails. I was in the scheduled 328 class that was supposed to start one week after the b-1900 furloughs, but they cancelled it two days before it started. It was a blessing in disguise though because I got hired by Express Jet a month later. Thank you Delta!!! My info comes from management types at Skyway who I know on a personal level and who will not give me specifics, no matter how hard I beat them, but they have given me this "anonymous" general info. I hope this helps. But if you were in the furloughed B-1900 class or the cancelled Do328 class, use this opportunity to get on with one of the 15 other (and better) companies that are hiring. I have had 6 interviews in the last 3 weeks, so these guys are hiring.

Wow

bg1686 said:
From someone "in the know", the Delta deal is definately not even close to being dead in the water, but is still not a sure thing...Skyway does have a contingency (sp?) plan to buy 5 DO-328s if the deal fails. I was in the scheduled 328 class that was supposed to start one week after the b-1900 furloughs, but they cancelled it two days before it started. It was a blessing in disguise though because I got hired by Express Jet a month later. Thank you Delta!!! My info comes from management types at Skyway who I know on a personal level and who will not give me specifics, no matter how hard I beat them, but they have given me this "anonymous" general info. I hope this helps. But if you were in the furloughed B-1900 class or the cancelled Do328 class, use this opportunity to get on with one of the 15 other (and better) companies that are hiring. I have had 6 interviews in the last 3 weeks, so these guys are hiring.

Thats amazing that management types have provided this information to you considering I talked to the DO today and the CP yesterday and they say that there is nothing to know. Knowing these two individuals, if there was something to know, they would just say that they cant talk about it at this time instead of saying "they know nothing". They both have been very forthcoming before. As far as the nay sayers out there, there are about 150+ reasons why Delta is still not done with us. But if you were in the furloughed B-1900 class or the cancelled Do328 class, use this opportunity to get on with one of the 15 other (and better) companies that are hiring. Well I am glad express jet worked out for you because it would have sucked if you would have ended up at your 16th choice of airlines. I bet you would have been a real treat to fly with especially after you didnt upgrade in 2 months. I am curious if your management friends know your love for Skyway.

GP

Yes, G stands for grumpy today, It just sucks to find out that your at the 16th best commuter and I could have gotten so much more somewhere else.

GO DELTA

Latest resources

Back