Since this is the Major airline interview bbs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mugs said:
Yeah, what the heck. You have probably shelled out better than 6 grand (hotel not included) for the 737 type by now. Why worry about another chunk of change for finishing school at this point to learn how to sing "Whole Lotta LUV?"
Lighten up dude. Even douche bags like you are allowed to interview again one year after being turned down.

:-) said:
I am not confident that I am a good enough "story teller" to successfully communicate all of that to an interviewer.
For this reason, I think some interview prep would be useful. I also think you should read Cheryl Cage's book, Checklist for Success. I highly recommend it. You can find it on eBay or used on Amazon.com pretty cheap.

Hose A. Jiminez said:
Lighten up dude. Even douche bags like you are allowed to interview again one year after being turned down.
Sorry "dude." With only 1,700 hours in the right seat of the 737 and no type, I am hardly qualified to interview or fly for Southwest.

My point, which apparently offended you, was that if you are going to shell out for the type then you may as well learn LUVly speak at an interview prep course. You know, go for the whole enchilada. After all, why not take the best shot you can at the only major airline job I can think of that requires you to buy a type rating that would be basically useless in the event you didn't get the job?

One aspect of the interviewing process that many of our fellow aviators are missing is the purpose of the interview. The interviewers want to know that you can prepare for a task. The actual answers are secondary. If you are bright enough to know that you have to study, just like for basic indoc, and learn what to say and not to say, it says alot. If you are arrogant and think that all of your experience will speak for you, it will show you as that, arrogant. If you think that all the professional recommendations that are out there does not apply to you because you want to be honest and say exactly how you felt about your old company, you are being naive. The interviewers want to know who you are but they also whant to know that you are smart enough to play the game without being told to play the game. I hope that made sense... Anyway, "Checklist for success" is any exellent book to prepare with. I can't count the number of pilots I have worked with that said "I don't need no stupid book. If they don't like me for who I am with all my experience, then f**k 'em. These questions are stupid". They have just told the interviewer: "I'm so good I don't need to study. I will not fly the airplane the way you want me to because my way is better and I will be a pain in the a** to deal with".
Bottom line, the interviewers want to see that you are a professional and can prepare accordingly. If you follow the guidelines in "Checklist for success" and don't have any major skeletons in the closet it will be hard for you to fail. Be smart and good luck. We need some more smart and funny guys at FL.
/Citrus

I've been lurking this string and your comments make a lot of sense.

enigma

Citrus,

I agree with you that people need to be prepared for interviews. I also agree that interviewing is a game. I usually tell my clients that interviewing is sometimes nothing more than an actor reciting their lines. Any good actor, in a live production, either knows his/her lines or is smart enough to think on his/her feet and improvise.

I do understand that people want to be honest and tell all that happened in their last position. I advise against this also. But, at the same time, I tell them to be honest - to a point.

I had a woman call me yesterday and wanted to lie on her resume and her way through an interview; making up dates of employment, job duties, etc. I advised her against this because it will come back to bite her. What I did with her was to find out what she had in her background that matched the position description. In other words, focus on her strengths; not what she was lacking.

I disagree with you though that the answers are not important. As part of the "game" of interviewing, people need to understand WHY the questions are being asked and answer them with the best possible answers.

Horizon Airlines has a perfect example of what I am talking about. One of their questions is, "Tell us about a time when you sacrificed quality to get something done quickly?" (or something like that) Here is my read on that question: "Tell us if you would jeopardize the safety of our passengers to get a flight out on time."

So, even if the intent of the question is disguised, a person still needs to be able to read that situation and answer accordingly. One of my clients, that was a Med Evac pilot, interviewed with Horizon. We went over that question and came up with a formidable answer. Basically, the answer was that while cutting corners might shave off a minute or more for a critical patient, in the end it was not worth jeopardizing himself, the entire crew and the patient. The response from HR? "That was a really good answer!"

A coach can help people to navigate the potential pitfalls that can occur in interviewing and avoid, as I call them, the dreaded "follow-up" questions. I help my clients to formulate answers that avoid those type of questions and put them in the best light.

So, no matter how someone prepares, they need to take the time to prepare thoroughly. It can make the difference between getting a position or getting the "thanks, but no thanks" letter from HR.

Kathy

Latest resources

Back