• Start date
  • Watchers 35

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Which airline has better long term prospects for upgrading to Captain and making the big bucks?

Isn't CAL losing like 50% of their Captains in the next few years?

UPS has hardly any retirements on the horizon. No?

It is totally up to him. At some point in all of our careers' we should stop trying for the next best thing and be happy where we are.
That said I had a buddy of mine do that in 88. He got on the front side of all of UPS airlines hiring. It worked for him. The situation at CO was a little different back then as well. CO has a great group of people that actually like the pilot group whereas UPS think that they do not need pilots to operate the company.

Bingo! I wouldn't dispute that Fed Ex and UPS look great, but so did UAL,DAL, AA, US, and CAL back in the late 90s. WHo knows, do I think the freight companies will do a nose dive in the near future. NO! But no is immune to anything. At some point if you are happy and at a "good" company (boy, does that word lend itself to many different descriptions!)

None of us will know till the end how we did. There will be many valleys and peeks.

Good Luck to your friend, still a desirable position to be in. Some may never receive a response from either company.

AAflyer

I'm in class now at CAL and all the charts and instructors have showed us that the next 3 years are going to be the biggest movement. 25% of the active captains now on property leave within the next 3 years. All assuming they are leaving at age 60.

Open Skies could change this industry in ways even the CEO's dont understand yet until they say "woe, didnt think about that little loophole". This could affect the pax airlines or cargo just the same for better or for worse. Cargo has FE's that could go back to pilot possibly slowing things down even further for the main positions. I wouldnt be at all suprised with open skies if some european cargo haulers startups move in on the "legacy cargo" ops in the US. Just too hard to tell right now. I WILL say dont make your predictions on the exact situation as it exists at this second in time....historicaly that has never worked in the airline biz. Good luck to your friend.

"I have a "friend" who is currently married with a job at Starbucks but thinks he would like to make more money slurping penis on a street corner? What should he do....?"

WHY, in God's name, are you people responding to this obvious flame bait?

YKW

He needs to look at who has better long term security and medical insurance.:laugh:

Retirements--That can change very quickly

Fleet growth--That can change very quickly

Business model and company financial position-- This would be my focus

CAL-Decent finances but in a turbulent, low margin industry

UPS-Extremely sound finances in a currently stable, higher margin industry

Open skies may hurt cargo, but I think it is more likely to have a negative impact on pax carriers. May even be good for UPS and Fedex.

If you think DHL, TNT or FedEx are threatening UPS, you should stay at CAL. Overall, I say there is room for 4 dominant cargo companies. Just don't expect a fast upgrade and move to your domicile. Reserve lines are likely in your immediate and midterm future.

If your spouse works and you want to take a shot at a quicker upgrade with more long term risk, go CAL.

Last edited:
He should go to UPS if he wants to ruin his life. Are you kidding me? How many pilots has UPS hired in the last 5 years? maybe 350. How much has their fleet grown? Try none. I think they have fewer airplanes now then they did 5 years ago. He would be junior forever at UPS. It doesn't get any worse than being junior at UPS

Jhill - don't be so bitter - you just weren't cut out for the job, that's all...;)

However, most of the cargo guys I've met seem to be old beyond their years from the time changes and back of the clock flying.

Totally disagree. It’s exactly what I’d been hearing for years when I used to fly passengers. Now that I’ve done both, passenger and cargo flying, I can personally attest that the flying is very similar on both ends. There’s plenty of day flying at cargo outfits as well but most of all – I think “aging early” has more to do with genetics, not staying in shape and eating junk food than anything else.

What I see is guys and gals who try to stay in shape, work out on their layovers and who seem to be enjoying their lives. Surely I’ve seen some tired folks here but I saw tired pilots at my previous pax carriers too. Like I said, it’s entirely my own opinion but I believe the notion of cargo pilots being “old beyond their years” is a myth. You’ll see those pilots on the passenger and the cargo side and most of the time it has to do with self-induced premature aging.

Also, how does constant fear of furloughs, mergers, bankruptcies, losing pension plans, etc. affect pilots' aging “beyond their years”?

Just something to consider. Fire away…

Latest resources

Back