Setting up a Flight Department

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

OPECJet

I might have the chance to set up a flight program for a local company. I'm flying for a regional presently, and have been looking to get out and back in the corporate world, so this could be a good opportunity.

If this comes to pass, we would be starting out with a Baron. A C90 could be in the works later. The owner knows nothing about aviation, so I would be responsible for overseeing maintenance and upkeep as well. Right now, there isn't enough flying to keep me busy full time, so office work is also possible.

I'm looking for a good baseline salary for a Baron pilot. Also, if anyone has any personal experience working in this type of environment, I'd love to hear about it.

The owner seems to have a real need for an airplane and also seems to know there will be some pitfalls in the deal.

Thanks in advance.

I might have the chance to set up a flight program for a local company. I'm flying for a regional presently, and have been looking to get out and back in the corporate world, so this could be a good opportunity.

If this comes to pass, we would be starting out with a Baron. A C90 could be in the works later. The owner knows nothing about aviation, so I would be responsible for overseeing maintenance and upkeep as well. Right now, there isn't enough flying to keep me busy full time, so office work is also possible.

I'm looking for a good baseline salary for a Baron pilot. Also, if anyone has any personal experience working in this type of environment, I'd love to hear about it.

The owner seems to have a real need for an airplane and also seems to know there will be some pitfalls in the deal.

Thanks in advance.

I currently manage a 91 flight department with a King Air 350, four pilots etc. It too was a start up deal after my last regional job.I would be happy to PM you some info if you would like. Let me know and good luck.

That would be great. Thanks.

While it may be a slow flying job initially, it would be very easy to work full time if you set up your department to the highest standards. I mean, have a GOM, SOP's, Drug Policy, SMS, etc.
One other item I think you're flirting with ( which I bet will bite you in the ass) is office work. Unless it has to do with your flight department, don't do it. Period. If he can afford a Baron or a Citation or a Gulfstream, then he can afford to do it correctly. You may be testing your diplomacy skills early on, but I strongly suggest to stick to that one. The minute you start coming into the office, you've accepted something you will most likely be doing the rest of your employment there.
I would also recommend GLN compliance group to do your manuals. I am very satisfied with mine. Also Google "aviation department paperwork" and you will be able to get all the paperwork you need for running your department in addition to the forms GLN will provide.( for trip sheets etc) I culled quite a few from the internet, you'll be surprised at how many aviation software sites have free downloads. I copied many of these and put our logo and name on them and had the put into excel format. Later when I had time and money, I had them done at a printer into triplicate. And another little tid bit, call yourself the Aviation Department Manager. I was never into titles until I found out a friend was making more than me, and it was because of his negotiating power and title as an ADM. You'll actually be wearing many hats such as ADM, Chief Pilot Captain, Drug & Alcohol Officer and Safety Officer.
I am looking at the pro pilot survey and there are no piston comparisons so I'll give you the C-90. average 64,000, low 50,000, high 84,000.
Good Luck and don't sell yourself short.

Last edited:
I forgot a couple of the basic's that I overlooked .
You'll need an office. Try as hard as you can to get one away from the corporate office and on the airport, preferably in the FBO where your plane will be based. You'll need a laptop, desk, and file cabinet plus a chair, and some office supplies to get you started.
Your first act as a new department manager should be to join the NBAA. I believe it will cost $375.

Thanks for the reply. Being locked in an office not flying is a big concern.

Actually, NBAA is only $175 for a single plane, doesn't matter if it is multi or single. Turbos or jets cost more....

Thanks for the reply. Being locked in an office not flying is a big concern.

I started up a flight dept. with a Piper Chieftain and later a King Air 200. Very similar to your situation. Take this advise DO NOT GO ANYWHERE NEAR THE MAIN OFFICE. I got extremly abused with what ever little things they could come up with often not flying for more than three weeks and then having to fly in the worst weather feeling a little rusty. I have since left for the regionals with hopes for the majors and have never been happier. Stand your ground is all I can say.

It isn't as big of a headache as you think. Just run it as your own and you will be fine. Once everything is in place, it will be smooth sailing. Good luck!

I started up a flight dept. with a Piper Chieftain and later a King Air 200. Very similar to your situation. Take this advise DO NOT GO ANYWHERE NEAR THE MAIN OFFICE. I got extremly abused with what ever little things they could come up with often not flying for more than three weeks and then having to fly in the worst weather feeling a little rusty. I have since left for the regionals with hopes for the majors and have never been happier. Stand your ground is all I can say.

Let me play devil's advocate for a moment here. If I'm the principle owner of an airplane and my pilot sits home on his a$$ for three weeks at a time and I'm paying him a good salary, I MIGHT just expect a little extra too.

On the other hand, if they fly that little, I don't think they have any business employing a full-time pilot. A contract guy seems sufficient.

Latest resources

Back