Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

wmuflyguy

flunky
My ENT suggested I have this down to repair my misplaced Septum...Also a reduction of the Inferior Turbinates. My ENT told me I could fly in about a week or so (when I broke my nose I was out only a week), possibly more if I'm really sore. I have a few sinus infections a year and want to get rid of that

How long were you guys out of work?

How did you feel afterwards?

Is it worth it?

What hurdles with returning to work did you encounter?

I had my septum repaired 3 or so years ago while I was having polyps removed from my sinus cavities.

I had no post op bleeding and the pain was easily managed with Tylenol. I had a 1 week follow up and was cleared to return to work.

I'm still somewhat congested after the repair, but it's much better than before. I no longer get regular sinus infections and my colds have been reduced from 3 or 4 days to 2 max.

All in all a worthwhile procedure.

My ENT suggested I have this down to repair my misplaced Septum...Also a reduction of the Inferior Turbinates.

Did you ever find it? :D

All seriousness though...I had the exact surgery done over 12 years ago. I know the procedure has come a long way and recovery time is reduced a lot as well.

I had sinus packing in my snort for 10 days and then 4 weeks of "restricted duty" but I was allowed to fly the whole time after I had the packing removed.

It is my understanding they no longer have to do the packing.

Was it worth it? At the time yes. I have chronic sinusitus and was constantly congested. It cleared it up pretty much like the other poster said.

Most recently though I have started to get sinus infections again and have been to an ENT who is going to do a sinus CAT scan and has noticed some deformation of the sinus opening themselves -- which unbeknownst to me can cause problems that are not fixed by septoplasty/turbinectomy.

Did you ever find it? :D

All seriousness though...I had the exact surgery done over 12 years ago. I know the procedure has come a long way and recovery time is reduced a lot as well.

I had sinus packing in my snort for 10 days and then 4 weeks of "restricted duty" but I was allowed to fly the whole time after I had the packing removed.

It is my understanding they no longer have to do the packing.

Was it worth it? At the time yes. I have chronic sinusitus and was constantly congested. It cleared it up pretty much like the other poster said.

Most recently though I have started to get sinus infections again and have been to an ENT who is going to do a sinus CAT scan and has noticed some deformation of the sinus opening themselves -- which unbeknownst to me can cause problems that are not fixed by septoplasty/turbinectomy.

Ha...yea they found it...The little info packet they gave me says I'll have some packing jammed up my nose for the first 24 to 48 hours. I'm having the surgery this Tuesday, I just found out how much I have to pay and to say the least wasn't very pleased, but then again I have never had surgery before and wasn't sure how much to expect to pay.

I do know I should think about going into Anesthesia, 880 bucks for and hour and a half.

I do know I should think about going into Anesthesia, 880 bucks for and hour and a half.

Thats a deal considering the anesthesiologist is responsible for keeping you alive during the procedure. He is monitoring your respiration and cardio vascular activity, and keeping it in a life sustaining level. How much is your life worth?

Thats a deal considering the anesthesiologist is responsible for keeping you alive during the procedure. He is monitoring your respiration and cardio vascular activity, and keeping it in a life sustaining level. How much is your life worth?

I think it's more a question of how much your insurance should pay.

I had this same procedure done a few years back as well as a sinus roto rooter. My entire out of pocket bill was under $350. That was with United Healthcare @ Comair.

I think it's more a question of how much your insurance should pay.

I had this same procedure done a few years back as well as a sinus roto rooter. My entire out of pocket bill was under $350. That was with United Healthcare @ Comair.

Yea Comair has anthem now, I'm looking at around 1500 bucks I think. 500 dollar deductible and 20% of whats left...Max out of pocket is 2000

Latest resources

Back