Seminole Checkride Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ahhhh.....

Ok, so i am not the only one on the board who says the prop is not a hyd. system. I was starting to wonder if i was just dumb or something. Whew, i can rest again...now to catch up on my sleep. ;)

Anyway, i said i was going to look it up in my -44 poh, but i cannot find it, i guess i threw it away so i wouldn't have to pack so much stuff every time i moved.

As far as someone saying that the brakes used brake fluid, well yeah... but that "brake" fluid is hyd. fluid, as DC9 said above.

For the number of pumps, 5 is right.

Anti iceing equip... well i have seen a turbo seminole with an aftermarket TKS system instsalled. I only saw it once, and i have never seen another one like it since, so maybe you can add that to your answer... it might throw them off a little.

More Seminole gouge

A couple of more points:

Know the Janitrol heater forwards and backwards. WITHOUT FAIL, know its effect on fuel consumption. Include in your spiel how electricity sparks it off and how it then operates similar to an engine. Know the name of the thingy that ignites the Janitrol. Sorry, been more than eight years and my POH is packed away; otherwise, I'd provide the name of the device. For heaven's sake, don't call it a Janitorial heater.

Know all the fuel vents and know them by number and location.

Be able to locate the squat switch and describe its function.

Know where the drainage vent is on the pitot as opposed to the static air.

On the flight, be aware of sleazy stage check pilots who loosen the gear indicator lamps. Develop a thorough answer on what you would do if you don't have three green on final.

I can't remember if a missing nosegear mirror on the left nacelle is a no-go item; I suspect it is not.

Riddle stage check pilots used to hammer students on MELs; know that subject thoroughly. There was a school of thought that the equipment list in the POH constituted an MEL; I disagree. That was merely an equipment list, NOT an MEL. You apply to the FSDO for an MEL.

Another point about pumps. Read up on how moving the throttles forward operate carburetor pumps. But I wouldn't say that these are pumps in the true sense of the word. Some people move the throttles forward a couple of times to "prime" the engines instead of using the primers.

I believe that a microswitch is connected to the left throttle to activate the gear warning system when the throttle is retarded fully. Once again, I haven't cracked the manual in more than eight years, so maybe someone more current can verify that point.

Finally, although props seem to be a universal gouge as a Seminole hydraulic system, I do believe that DC9stick and Starchkr are correct in their opinions. On the other hand, I just looked in my logbook and found a notation that the prop is a Hartzell prop, full feathering, hydraulically-actuated.

I thought of something else. Someone may ask about the engine designators. Know the difference between an O-360 and an LO-360. Know what the "O" stands for, which is Opposed, of course.

Good luck with your practical.

Last edited:
Hmmm,

The airplane I fly has Hamilton Standard HYDROmatic props. Certainly Hamilton Standard thinks their propellers are hydraulicly actuated, as opposed to electricly actuated like the Curtiss electric props. (installed on the P-38)

From one of my powerplant textbooks:

"The blade angle on the Hamilton Standard propeller is changed by using a combination of hydraulic and centrifugal forces."

From a different powerplant textbook:

"There are only two types of propellers installed on current production airplanes; fixed pitch propellers for the small and simple airplanes, and hydraulically actuated constant speed propellers for complex airplanes."

The Hamilton Standard props that I fly with use hydraulic pressure (engine oil) for speed control, feathering, and reversing. There is a seperate DC powered hydraulic pump (pumping engine oil) for feathering and reversing, as the engine oil pumps do not provide sufficient hydraulic pressure to feather or reverse the props.

I'm not sure how you can say that a prop isn't hydraulic.

regards

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back