Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

d328pilot

flying in asia
How would being married to a foreign national affect getting a security clearance prior to UPT? If it makes any difference, she would be thai.

They will ask you questions about it, but Magnum is right, no problems...

MarineGrunt said:
They will ask you questions about it, but Magnum is right, no problems...

Out of curiosity, MarineGrunt, what made you decide to leave the Marines? One would never know you're a KC-135 co-pilot by looking at your profile.

McGillicutty said:
Out of curiosity, MarineGrunt, what made you decide to leave the Marines? One would never know you're a KC-135 co-pilot by looking at your profile.
I was going through the PLC program to fly for the Corps, but along the way got married and had a kid, so priorities changed and I went to the guard. I miss the Corps, but this was the best thing for the fam if I was going to fly mil. No regrets.

It depends on the clearance level necessary and her citizenship status. You
will most likely have to fill out paperwork on her too.

My info is dated but that's the way it was pre-9/11.

d328pilot said:
How would being married to a foreign national affect getting a security clearance prior to UPT? If it makes any difference, she would be thai.

YES, especially if it's a TS. It won't stop anything, but it will take a long time to complete. They will look at her family, and when they can't verify something, they will dig deeper. BTW, all you need is a secret for UPT. They should be able to grant you an Interiem Secret very quickly, after the intial review.

BTW, all you need is a secret for UPT. They should be able to grant you an Interiem Secret very quickly, after the intial review.

I just got my secret clearance after reenlisting (was out for 11 years). Took me about 2 months after submitting my info...of course it took me a couple weeks to get all the info to submit too...heh.

I've seen a number of complications with folks trying to get a TS/SCI while being married/divorced from foreign nationals, especially of the Eastern European variety.

You should sit your wife down and have a deadly serious talk about her background, as well as that of members of her family. Impress upon her that this isn't a game. This isn't footsie with the desk-sloths at immigration. The DIA doesn't want ANY surprises when conducting background investigations. If they start finding questionable stuff, they're going to question you and your wife's veracity. This is your future career at stake. If the airline you're working for now is typical, you're used to dealing with jerk-offs, incompetents, and other management tripe. This is not generally the case in the military.

It's probably no problem at all, but you absolutely do not want to give even the impression that she's hiding anything.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back