• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

super88

Loud clutches save lives.
Hey there,

Anybody got any experience with hiring security at SPZO? Necessary? Overkill? We have a 4 night trip at the end of April so the boss can see the Sacred Valley.

I'd like to get out of Cusco and spend a couple of days exploring.

My copilot (a self-admitted chronic worrier) seems convinced that we should stay "close to the airplane." I'm not sure exactly what that will do, unless he means sleep under the wing. But if the peruvian drug lords (if there are such a thing) decide to steal our airplane, I doubt anyone is going to be able to stop them.

My understanding is that any major crime in that part of the world is pretty much relegated to drug trafficking or kidnapping. I highly doubt we'd get our tires slashed or some explosive strapped in the gear well, but tell me why I'm wrong. If we should stay close, we will.

Thanks,
Gavin

I havent been to Peru but living in Mexico with all the rampant crime, airports are still very very safe

Thanks Fernando,

I feel the same way. It seems that the dicey places usually have the beefiest airport security. We spend a few weeks in Turkey and I've never felt better about leaving the airplane. Razor wire and machine guns everywhere...

In fact, they barely let us out on the ramp to preflight our own airplane!

I'd not worry about Peru and I'd never hire security you didn't know. Bring your own or don't go there if its that risky.

I know a few planes that have been damaged by handler supplied "security" in South America. Best plan is just to have the handler keep you in a high visibility area. The damage I speak of happened on a remote ramp in S?o Paulo, for example.

Not sure why in the world staying close would matter (take turns doing watch from hotel balcony?)...:)

Enjoy your trip and go sightseeing.....hope your nervous copilot doesn't get mugged (they smell fear)

:)

Last edited:
Went to cusco about 2 years ago no problems and airport is pretty secure as is cusco itself around the main square and old part of town. Sacred valley is a long day trip from cusco and is worth seeing. I walked and hiked around cusco by myself with no issues. Have fun.

Cuzco is a bigger issue performance wise than security wise. The greatest problem is old ladies in traditional dress dragging lamas around trying to get you to pay them to take their picture.

Really nice hotel- http://www.libertador.com.pe/en/ you can book your room with O2 if you are a flat lander.

The handler there is great and can set you up with tickets on the Hiram Bingham train to Macchu Picchu for about $150 a day. You'd be crazy to be that close and not go, it's a solid day trip.

There is a mandatory class to fly there, the first time I went it had to be accomplished in Lima, now you can do it online.

Follow up

Hey all,

Thanks for the responses. The handler was great. Also, we had to return to the airport late in the afternoon the day we arrived in order to check out a squawk and were relieved to see a crew of about 20 security guards getting their evening briefing. Our handler also had a lot of explaining to do in order to grant us access back on to the ramp. All of this made us realize the airport was probably way more secure than the vast majority of US airports.

A great 4 day stay, complete with a repair on the ramp, thanks to a couple of Gulfstream's finest for airlining in. Enjoyed Cusco immensely. Enjoyed Aguas Callientes and Machu Picchu even more.

Cheers,
Gavin

Latest resources

Back