• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mar

Remember this one?
Urban myth or no?

I heard today that every Boeing has a piece of Seattle wood on it somewhere.

For example, the 747 has a piece of wood on the fuel jettison door that's used to prevent the door from being closed if any of the switches are positioned for dump.

Has anyone else heard this story?

Where's the wood on the 707, 727, 737, 757, 767 and 777?

And please don't tell me it's in the pilot's seat...

mar said:
Urban myth or no?

I heard today that every Boeing has a piece of Seattle wood on it somewhere.

For example, the 747 has a piece of wood on the fuel jettison door that's used to prevent the door from being closed if any of the switches are positioned for dump.

Has anyone else heard this story?

Where's the wood on the 707, 727, 737, 757, 767 and 777?

And please don't tell me it's in the pilot's seat...
You've got my curiosity going now. I haven't been able to find anything on the web thus far so I emailed the Boeing company historian about it. I'll let you know if I get an answer ;)

There's a piece of wood under the carpet covering the main gear viewers on the 737-300....... Don't ask how I know!

Interesting

TrafficInSight said:
...so I emailed the Boeing company historian about it. I'll let you know if I get an answer ;)

I'd be interested to hear what you learn. Thanks for checking.

I used to be an instructor Navigator on C-130's and we used to always ask our students to identify all of the wood pieces on the aircraft. In the 130, there was a wood piece on the floor as you entered the a/c thru the crew door (which everone knew about), but there was also the J-bar (used for moving cargo). I would imagine there is some truth to this on the Boeings also. It probably has some wood in the flooring somewhere.

By the way...what is the one piece of the aircraft that is edible?

I dunno but I " get " a woody if someone let me fly a 777.:D

I'll take a WAG

Sarka said:

Um, the whiskey compass? The leather seats? The crumbs on the floor? I dunno, but don't tell yet. I'd be curious to hear other guesses...

Cat Driver--Get out of here man. A woody to fly a 777 with all that high tech gadgetry and crap? I don't believe it. You're joshin' us right?

Here's some DC6 trivia (Asquared is disqualified from answering): What control surface is fabric covered?

(This would be a hell of a lot more fun if we were playing for beer)

:cool:

mar said:
Um, the whiskey compass? The leather seats? The crumbs on the floor? I dunno, but don't tell yet. I'd be curious to hear other guesses...

Cat Driver--Get out of here man. A woody to fly a 777 with all that high tech gadgetry and crap? I don't believe it. You're joshin' us right?

Here's some DC6 trivia (Asquared is disqualified from answering): What control surface is fabric covered?

(This would be a hell of a lot more fun if we were playing for beer)

:cool:
I'll hold off on my answer to see what else is thrown out, but on your question...do you consider the flight crew as a control surface??? Just kidding.

Sarka said:
Humm, piece of the aircraft that is edible??? Way back when I was at one of the majors they told us the the FE was on the aircraft so that the captain could have something to eat if we crashed in the wilderness. But I'm guessing that's not the correct answer.

Lead Sled

Latest resources

Back