• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Michael Hill

"Good news, everyone"
Hello guys.
I'm doing a middle school project that deals with the causes and consequences of change. I was assigened the era of 1990's to Present with the section of America's downfalls. I'm almost done with the research except for a survey that I told the people in my group I would complete. The question is, "In your opinion, how do you think 9/11 changed airport security and the way america works nowadays?" Thanks in advance for helpng me with this.

Mike

Michael Hill said:
Hello guys.
I'm doing a middle school project that deals with the causes and consequences of change. I was assigened the era of 1990's to Present with the section of America's downfalls. I'm almost done with the research except for a survey that I told the people in my group I would complete. The question is, "In your opinion, how do you think 9/11 changed airport security and the way america works nowadays?" Thanks in advance for helpng me with this.

Mike

You might get a better response if you have a survey with statements people can agree or disagree with in varying stages. Ie:

Airports are safer since 9/11.
A somewhat agree
B totally agree
C disagree
D strongly disagree

ETC ETC. you get the idea. Just my .02, good luck

"America's downfalls"?? Isn't that just a little bit extreme? To me that sounds like a liberal teacher trying to get students to prove how terrible out country is. But I also agree that you would be better off thinking of a couple of survey type questions.

Ok, I'll give you guys some questions to work with...

1.) Do you believe that the main cause of going to Afghanistan was 9/11? If not, explain please. (I know some people believe that Bush wanted to go to war in the first place, not to be prejudice.)

2.) Do you belive that Operation Iraqi Freedom was a failure?

3.) How do you think airport security has changed since 9/11?

4.) How has America altogether changed since 9/11? Operation Iraqi Freedom?

There you go. Just something to work with. If any of you have anything else to add on, feel free. This is a big project for me and it's great to have people in the flying community to help.

Mike

Michael Hill said:
Hello guys.

Mike

I have to take off my shoes sometimes. Oh yeah, and once, they broke off the 1/2" long file that is part of your standard fingernail clippers. How silly is that? Other than that, I really don't think it's a big deal. The increased security seems like it's as much for image as anything.

Sorry to be rather cynical, but that paragraph was written amazingly well for a middle-school grade student.

Is there perhaps a hidden agenda here?:confused:

Eagle,

Nope, there is no hidden agenda. He's a smart kid and writes very well for his age.

Mike is my 13 year old son and I introduced him to flightinfo some time ago.

He has a passion for aviation and this forum has a wealth of information and I want him to use it as a tool for school, entertainment, and exploration of his dreams.

He has this project due and he needs some feedback from people in the business on how 9/11 changed our avation system, not only for bad, but for good.

i did a research paper on this my junior year of hs. complete with quotes from AA pilots and the whole bit.

got a 97

4 pages.

20 bucks!! :)

You know what,

I research paper is for just that, RESEARCH.

The only thing my son could learn from you is extortion.

Michael Hill said:
Ok, I'll give you guys some questions to work with...

1.) Do you believe that the main cause of going to Afghanistan was 9/11? If not, explain please. (I know some people believe that Bush wanted to go to war in the first place, not to be prejudice.)

2.) Do you belive that Operation Iraqi Freedom was a failure?

3.) How do you think airport security has changed since 9/11?

4.) How has America altogether changed since 9/11? Operation Iraqi Freedom?

There you go. Just something to work with. If any of you have anything else to add on, feel free. This is a big project for me and it's great to have people in the flying community to help.

Mike

1. yes, but it had been in the making. former Pres Clinton did some strikes into Afghanistan. It was well established as a terrorist hotspot. I think 9/11 was just the catalyst to go in with thousands of troops to really take out the terrorists. In other words I think 9/11 was the "straw" (the straw being two enormous buildings destroyed and thousand of people killed) that broke the camel's back.

2. Too early to tell. As a military man, I remain optimistic. I wouldn't be doing my job properly in my opinion if I were not.

3. Lots of money thrown at the problem, but not a whole lot of significant improvement as far as I can tell. I see more uniformed security, and occasionally even see some National Guard soldiers doing airport security. That said, I think anyone that did some research and planning could get anything they wanted to past the security without too much problem. It seems like the big improvements in security are mostly superficial, meant to display an image of high security. Maybe that image is more effective than I give it credit for.

4. Americans are fickle. We are really emotional and patriotic when things hit close to home. Then it slowly is forgotten. How have we changed? We haven't. I don't think the average American is any different today than on 9/11. I don't know anyone that has stopped flying, or stopped going out, or stopped going to big celebrations in major cities, or changed plans, or had a will made, or anything like that due to 9/11. I'm sure there are people that have done those things, but I don't know any of them, and I'm sure they are in the extreme minority.

Latest resources

Back