• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Scab Stories

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not really an airline story per se, but I remember as a child the machinists where my dad worked went on strike two months before the end of a contract to convert 6 old fighters into drones for the air force. In ten months, the entire work force had managed to complete one aircraft. The program manager and 5 engineers (my dad being one of them) drove through that picket line every morning. In two months those 6 guys completed the other 5 aircraft. Freekin hilarious.

IFollowRoads said:
The program manager and 5 engineers (my dad being one of them) drove through that picket line every morning. In two months those 6 guys completed the other 5 aircraft. Freekin hilarious.
My dear old dad, the scab. Yes, scabs generally are more productive. They aren't bound by those little pesky things such as contractual duty day limitations, rest time, etc.

Hugh Jorgan said:
My dear old dad, the scab. Yes, scabs generally are more productive. They aren't bound by those little pesky things such as contractual duty day limitations, rest time, etc.

My dad wasn't a scab. As an engineer, he wasn't covered by any of the collective bargaining agreements.

And when the next contract came in on some helicopters, the company allowed for the machinists requirements, the machinists came back to work, and they all lived happily ever after :)

Flyingdutchman said:
No sure about continental folks (way before my time). But I wont take any *************************s pilots on my js. bite me.

FD

Not unless they look like your avtar, right?

I once jumpseated on a UAL flight when I worked at ATA. The Captain introduced himself then the Engineer to me. As I stood in the cockpit talking to them the FO came in and the Captain said this is the SCAB. There's no talking to the scab in the cockpit. I let out an involuntary laugh as it sounded so weird. But by the stern look I got I knew it was for real. We flew the whole leg and there was no conversation at all with the SCAB. At the time I thought holy crap that's pretty harsh. Just the whole dynamic in the cockpit was unsettling.

But then after 9-11 when I got to do a tour at some real under belly freight operators in the south Florida area I got to fly with ALOT of scabs. Even worked for them as the DO was one at one place. Now I have taken a much harder stance on how I personally feel. These are guys that crossed a line and took other guys jobs. If the whole group of pilots is going to strike and you cross then you have to pay the price for that descision. It doesn't matter if you had a huge mortgage or little susie needed braces. You turned your back on all your co-workers to benefit yourself. So if you get treateed like crap from the guys who stood up and took the high road then Boo friggin Hoo. Most of the ones(90%) I met flying in South Florida were the same ones who would do whatever the company said and screw you over in a second to benefit them. So I definitely believe once a scab always a scab. If I was at Continental or United I would be pissed too to have to fly with them. So I now understand why the Captain acted the way he did that day.

Also a union is only as good as it's membership. I have been a Teamster and I have been ALPA. If I had a choice I still think ALPA had the better tools for you to work with when it came time to go toe to toe with the company. Yes it was disheartening to know that if you weren't a legacy airline that rhymes with UNITED it seemed as ALPA just took your money. But I personally didn't see anything at Temasters that impressed me much. Again let me state a union is only as good as it's membership.

P.S. Plus ALPA has a better magazine then the one I used to get from Teamsters that had riveting articles about the plight of Shopping Cart Welders Local 45 not getting a new coffe machine!

Im not too familiar with the past, but I understand the anti-scab mentality. I just feel so bad though, for people treated like the devil because they, for various reasons, crossed the line. Do you think treating them like subhumans is somehow going to change something? Theyve realized their mistakes, now let them live, and be nice to each other.

NO a SCAB is a SCAB. treating one differently is like saying the child molester that raped your daughter is sorry, so now get along with him.

SCAB = SCUMB

big_al said:
I just feel so bad though, for people treated like the devil because they, for various reasons, crossed the line. Do you think treating them like subhumans is somehow going to change something? Theyve realized their mistakes, now let them live, and be nice to each other.
Booo-freaking-hoo. Forgive a scab today, encourage four more tomorrow. NEVER FORGET. Shame on ALPA for allowing those who have crossed back into the fold.

ALPA wants the dues coming in. They showed their true colors on that one. Wish I could get the assesments I spent on the Continental strike back now that they have taken the scabs back in. We spent the money to fight the scabs then ALPA took the scabs back in to get the dues.

Latest resources

Back