• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Salt Lake City

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There may be no TFR there, but that depot was in my fire protection district this year, and I can tell you that you really don't want to be there. It may be legal, but it's really not smart.

A series of incursions have occured there to the point that aircraft have nearly come under fire from the very extensive detachment assigned to protect that location. It really is best to stay away.

I was there las week, and I must say that The Mayan has the WORST Mexican food in the world!!! Taco Bell food could be considered "gourmet" compared to The Mayan.

The cliff divers are cool.

Everytime I used to layover in SLC, I would either head to PC or go to a growing number of top places downtown.

There are so many better places to dine and drink that those that are listed here. Of course, I might be biased since I used to live there and avoid typical chain or crew hangouts!

Top dining options:

Shogun for Sushi (320 S. Main St)
Hong Kong Tea House for Cantonese (550 W. 200 S.)
Metropolitan for contemporary (200 W. 300 S.)
Cucinca Toscana for Italian (300 W. 300 S.)
Caputos Deli for sandwiches (300 W. 300 S.)
Bambara @ Hotel Monaco for contemporary (200 S. Main St.)
Squatters Brew Pub (better than Red Rock) (200 W. 300 S.)
Monsoon for Thai (1600 S. Foothill Blvd)
Oyster Bar for seafood
Paris Bistro for French (1500 S. 1500 E)
Rusted Sun for NY Pizza (2100 S. State)

Clubs/Pubs:

The Drink (new upscale club)
The Red Door (martini bar)
W Lounge (upscale lounge/djs)
Shaggys (for that frat house experience)

Park City:
Harry O's
Grappa for Italian
Wahso for Asian/French fusion
many others...

have fun!

What about the Apollo Burger and the other one that is run by the same family. Greasy is good, especially with pastrami on it!
The fry sauce is great too.

SLC

Avbug--know what you mean; actually, I was practicing 8s on in that area about 3 years ago without realizing where I was (just pre 9/11). I realized where I was when I saw two HMMWVs show up and the guys got out and looked up at us. No violation at the time, but I generally stay over Grantsville area or North of Tooele on the East bench now. I think most of the depot area is now in the TFR.

Also--forgot to mention, I've heard as well that the Mayan food makes Taco Bell taste good, hey where else can you see cliff divers? Larry was sued by a Denver Restaurant when he opened. I have been to that place, I think its the Acapulco, years ago. Same kind of motif, and I understand a very similar menu.

Two other places I thought of that I forgot to mention;

Better sandwiches - Granato's Italian Deli, two locations

Italian - Tuscany Restaurant, Sandy.

Have fun!

Feeling the chill...

Just heard through the ski bum connections that Brighton ski resort is open already, can't pass up some early season powder now! Gotta get myself out there! Just watch out for those ******* boarders......(Did I just say that?)

As a displaced native Salt Laker, I gotta concur with the recommendations to head straight for Park City. I love that town! Great ambience, scenery, shopping and nightlife along Main Street, and you can probably get a great pre-season deal at Stein Erickson Lodge in Deer Valley.

Food-wise, and atmosphere-wise, I actually prefer Red Rock to Squatters, and Ruth's Diner up Emigration Canyon (straight up 8th South, past the zoo and "This is the place" monument) is a local favorite for Sunday brunch.

Assuming you've got warm clothing with you, you might consider taking a ride on the tram at Snowbird, it's an 8 minute ride up to the top of Hidden Peak, nearly 11,000'. Awesome views.

Doesn't R-6403 cover Tooele Army Depot?

slc

The restricted area covers the depot itself, but it never covered the storage bunkers(?). The bunkers are North of the restricted area by a few miles.

Brighton is OPEN! 24" base at the bottom of the mountain, 48" midmountain. Saw video on the news this am and it looks great!

The Mayan restaurant's food is not good Mexican, it's all just a showy gimic place. Some good restaurants are Christopher's Steak and Grill on 3rd South and West Temple. In the Gateway Plaza mall there's a great Thai place called Thaifoon. Another good Thai place is Bangock Thai in Foothill Village on Foothill Drive. The Pie Pizzaria has great pizza and is a U of U hangout on 13th East near the university. Or right downtown is the Roof restaurant and next to it the Garden restaurant both on the top floor of the Joseph Smith Memorial Building on Temple Square. They both have great food and a beautiful view of downtown and Temple Square. Take a tour of Temple Square, see the Testaments movie, and wander around Main Street and the Main Street Plaza. You can take the light rail for free anywhere downtown. You can take it 3 blocks west to the Gateway Plaza. It's a shopping area and the new Clark Planetarium is there. On 2nd South and 250 West is a great German bakery (can't remember the name). The Capitol building is kind of interesting to see. You can take Bus #23 for free from anywhere downtown and it will take you up capitol hill, or you can just walk the 3 blocks uphill. Trolley Square is another interesting shopping area on 7 East and 5th South. It used to be the trolley house for the old street cars and has been turned into a mall. I lived in downtown Salt Lake for the last year till I just moved and it's one of the nicest cleanest cities in the country.

Latest resources

Back