Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chperplt

Hey

The wife and I are going to take a drive into Salt Lake City this weekend. Anyone from the area have some good places we should check out??

Thanks

The Mayan. Great food and beautiful women jumping off cliffs into the water below. That's what I've heard anyway...

Do they still jump off the cliffs when it is 10 degrees out?

The women aren't the theme of the restaurant. It's mainly the overall experience of a "Mayan" atmosphere. But the women are nice. Regardless, I bet your wife would throughly enjoy it. BTW, it's owned by Larry Miller, Utah's car-guy and Utah Jazz owner. I've never been there, just seen it numerous times on the State news, but it looks like a wonderful way to spend an evening.

Forget Salt Lake, head up to Park City. There's a lot to see up there- quaint little shops, galleries and eateries- a couple of Starbucks (something you WON'T see in SLC). Your wife may enjoy the outlet mall there.

If you're intent on SLC, Temple Square is something to see, even if you're not Mormon. It's right down town. See the typical governmental Roman architecture up at the capital building. The new public library is supposed to be pretty cool and innovative- kind of like a big Barnes & Noble. Check out the Gateway shopping mall across the street from the Delta Center.

If you've still got time, drive up I-15 to Layton (~25 miles) and go out to Antelope Island. There's an interesting visitor center all about the Great Salt Lake.

Go to Park City. It's too early to ski but the town is beautiful and the scenery is second to none. It's only about 30-45 mins up the pass. Visit the Tabernacle as well, very pretty and interesting.

Just south (~20 miles) of SLC is Provo Canyon which is also a very beautiful scenic drive. It's a relatively short drive and you can take it all the way through and drive up to Park City from the backside. If you're a fly fisherman don't forget to bring your tackle and hit the Provo river for some very nice R&R.

HAFB has an air museum. It's located just South of Ogden, which is North of Salt Lake.

Tooele Valley offers a lovely view of the chemical weapons storage, this time of year.

SLC

I didn't know they had female cliff divers at the Mayan--thought they were all male. Its actually billed as a family restaurant and owned by Larry Miller. Located in Sandy, around 9400 South State.

Definitely go see the Temple; if you tell anyone you went to SLC, they will ask if you saw it anyway. Kinda neat to see even if you're not LDS.

Park City will be fun as well; no skiing yet, but if you like resort towns, its a peach.

And we DO have Starbucks, many of them down in the valley. Big change from 10 years ago when I moved here and couldn't get a decent cup of coffee...

Downtown SLC--not that hard to get a drink really. Just walk in and they will take care of you. A couple suggestions; Redrocks, a microbrewery downtown. And Port O Call, a "private club", but not a problem to get into.

Restaurants downtown; Rodizio Grill in Trolly Square (700 South 700 East), Market Street Grill, GRinders 13 (sandwiches, 1300 s. State), The Other Place (breakfast), and the best Chinese, PF Changs (174 West 300 South).

Farther South in Midvale Area; best barbeque in town at Joe Morley's (closed Sunday).

Did I miss any, Utah people>?

Not bad sightseeing at night from a 172 either...

And no TFR over most of the chemical weapons storage in Tooele....perfect "targets" for practicing turns around a point....

Latest resources

Back