• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SAAB 2000 groundspeed record

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think this is the most impressive I've seen.

C-182 - 338 Knots

Personal record (not in a jet) M20R - 242 knots at 3500' MSL (2500' AGL) level flight.

Hey drew which mooney was that? I had a g.s. of 245 straight and level out of 909wm from MDW to BTL one nice winter day in 2003. Those were some darn nice "trainers"

How bout in the wind...

Does this one count?

FL220 LGA-CHO into the wind 90 kts groundspeed in a Saab 340B. There were trucks going faster on I-95 than we were that day.

Last edited:
Few months ago, KLEX to KRDU in a PA28-161. Averaged 160kts in cruise descent over the mountains back into Raleigh. Probably not a record per say but it was my personal record in the Warrior. Not too shabby though for a Warrior.

Depends on the airplane. I've had skyhawks going backward when I was a flight instructor demnostrating slow flight.Now if you were doing 90 in an E145 @220 that would be impressive

DrewBlows said:
I think this is the most impressive I've seen.

C-182 - 338 Knots

Personal record (not in a jet) M20R - 242 knots at 3500' MSL (2500' AGL) level flight.

Sometime those max ground speeds are incorrect when they come form the factory. My flight school bought 7 new planes with Garmin 430s and all three we've received so far have had som rediulously high groundspeeds on them.

WMUSIGPI said:
Hey drew which mooney was that? I had a g.s. of 245 straight and level out of 909wm from MDW to BTL one nice winter day in 2003. Those were some darn nice "trainers"

I'd have to look at my log book, I think I made a note. I'll try to get back to you with that one.

paulsalem said:
Sometime those max ground speeds are incorrect when they come form the factory. My flight school bought 7 new planes with Garmin 430s and all three we've received so far have had som rediulously high groundspeeds on them.

Shoot, I knew it was too good to be true. How dare those people put something that's not true on the internet. THE INTERNET! If you can't trust the internet what can you trust?

Last edited:
Didn't realize how close in performance the Saab 2000 is to the Q400. We do about 365 kts TAS on an average day also. Highest groundspeed I've seen yet is 480, BOI-LAX @ FL250.

We occasionally get snide comments from pax regarding the props but it doesn't seem to keep QX from filling the planes & making money off the Q400. The economics are certainly better than a 50-seat jet. Perhaps someday we'll see a resurgence on new-generation turboprops like the S2000 or Q400.

Latest resources

Back