• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Rvsm

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You need RVSM training every two years. IPC recurrent is not required. All you need is the RVSM portion of it. 2 hr course. If you go to flight safety or something like that. All you need is the D-RVSM for FAA liscenced pilot. The european rvsm course is for European Liscenced pilot. I just found this out last week.

Domestic RVSM is one time and done, unless your POI makes you do more in your approved manual which must include a training program. For People going to Europe your need it every 24 months. Most satisfy this requirement with recurrent international procedures every 24 months. One way I think about it for Europe is you have to have your aircraft height monitored, i.e. fly over a height monitoring station, every 24 months, so I need to be retrained every 24 months

We are a 91 operator. I was ramped checked by the Houston FSDO. They insisted for part 91 that recurrent training is required every 24 months. They also insisted that the RVSM LOA expires every 24 months. He also said that we must have training records in the RVSM manual for each crewmember. I believe they were wrong on all three counts. At the conclusion of the ramp check they were going to contact our FSDO to talk with our rep regarding our requirments. Have not heard anything back yet. As mentioned above FAR 91 Appendix G and AC 91-85 does not state that reccurent training is required for FAR 91. It is required however for 91K, 121, and 135. Does anyone know if SIC's need initial RVSM training to act as a crewmember in RVSM airspace under part 91?

We are a 91 operator. I was ramped checked by the Houston FSDO. They insisted for part 91 that recurrent training is required every 24 months. They also insisted that the RVSM LOA expires every 24 months. He also said that we must have training records in the RVSM manual for each crewmember. I believe they were wrong on all three counts. At the conclusion of the ramp check they were going to contact our FSDO to talk with our rep regarding our requirments. Have not heard anything back yet. As mentioned above FAR 91 Appendix G and AC 91-85 does not state that reccurent training is required for FAR 91. It is required however for 91K, 121, and 135. Does anyone know if SIC's need initial RVSM training to act as a crewmember in RVSM airspace under part 91?

I would refer him to your POI at your local FSDO- let them duke it out. There's ten different interpretations of each rule, nothing is standard within the FAA. Pretty ridiculous.

Why not take it every two years?

Regardless of who or how the regs are written interpreted...

Seems like a good plan, we do it along with Int'l stuff every 24 months.

Like someone else said the Scott Course is good and the refresher is just a one day gig...

Last edited:
FSI or whoever you use can check the RVSM box during regular recurrent training.

Latest resources

Back