RVSM, getting a LOA.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Daveman

Before I call the local FSDO, I would like advice on how to get a LOA. We recently purchased an aircraft that came out of MX RVSM equipped. We both went through RVSM training at simuflite. Now do I call the fsdo and do a demo flight or what? I would rather here from a pilot than the feds. Thanks

Do you have ALL of the paperwork and required documents in order. How about the flight? Check out some of the threads on the subject on the NBAA website. Don't be afraid of contacting the feds. The reality of it is that each FSDO has their own agenda and requirements. What works here may or may not work where you're at. Contacting your friendly local fed is probably the best place to start.

Lead Sled

Even if your airplane is rvsm equipped, must do a rvsm certification flight which will require about a 1-1.5 hour flight. Airinc does these cerification flights. You have to take the airplane to a flight level between 290 -410 and flight straight and level for 30 minutes with no turns. Depending on the part of the country you are in this can be quit a challenge to do. Once that passes then you can apply for your LOA.

Daveman:

Go to this Web page for your GMU montitoring flight. I called on Monday and the flight completed by Thursday.

They fly a tech out to you who hooks up his GPS and monitors the flight. All you have to do is fly at one altitude for 30 minutes. Easy to schedule and do.

http://www.cssiinc.com/rvsm/

The LOA is for your operation. Even if you buy a plane that is operating as RVSM compliant, you have to apply for a LOA. Just like a MEL. They don't go with the aircraft. Probably nothing has to be done the aircraft unless the scheduled RVSM maintenance is due. The GMU flight can take place anytime up to 6 months after you get your LOA.

You have to summit an application, RVSM Ops manual and RVSM maintenance manual to the local FSDO for approval. There are several companies out there that will do that for you. I hear the going price is $3,000.

you may want to check with your local FSDO, I hear that approval can take quite a log time due to the tremendous backup

Took us four months. Our aircraft had been operating RVSM for over four years when we purchased it and it still took over four months for our LOA. No flight test required. Hight monitering for this aircraft was on record so not required by us.
BTW the Mx manual we used had been aproved two weeks before by another FSDO but FSDO need 4 changes. Never want to do this again.

HEADWIND

Headwind said:
No flight test required. Hight monitering for this aircraft was on record so not required by us. HEADWIND
I am not positve on this, but I am almost sure that you need an HMU/GMU flight every 24 months to operate in the NAT or EU. If it is required and you are caught by the Euopeans you will be subject to FAA violations and fines. You might want to confirm this.

Its actually very easy (depending on your FSDO). You will need all the documentation (AFM, applicable Service Bulletins, etc.). You need to submit an application which can be found on the FAA website. When I went through our approval process, Bombardier gave me the application with all the information completed specific to each aircraft. Contact your factory rep to see if they have the same document. Your FSDO also needs to submit a request to Atlantic City to process your GMU/HMU results before they can issue an LOA (or Ops Specs in the case of 135 ops). Any Princiapl Avionics Inspector (PAI) at the FSDO can help you. Just because the flights have been done doesn't mean you or the aircraft are approved for RVSM.

Here are some websites with info:

http://www.faa.gov/ats/ato/rvsm1.htm
http://www.arinc.com/rvsm/rvsm.shtml

If you need a contact:

Wayne Smoot
RVSM Implementation Team
FAA Technical Center
Atlantic City, NJ
[email protected]
Ph: 609-485-5475

Last edited:

Latest resources