RVR Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dharmesh1231

How do you explain RVR? When can you and when can't you take off. What do the numbers 6-6-6 mean...Try not to give smart answers please. Thanks

How do you explain RVR? When can you and when can't you take off. What do the numbers 6-6-6 mean...Try not to give smart answers please. Thanks
Okay, how about a dumb answer then...Umm...if you can see, you can go. Unless you are in area code 666, then you must call collect.

RVR - Runway visual range. A Transmissometer measures the impeadance in the light flow from particulate in the air, and from that it can accurately determine the visibility in feet at that given station. There are typically 3 RVR stations along an RVR runway, one at the approach end, one midfield, and one at the departure end. In order to conduct a a 6-6-6 takeoff, you must have adequate visual reference to the runway, the runway centerline lights must be on, and serviceable runway centerline markings. 2 of the 3 RVR stations must be reporting at least 600 ft RVR.

A departure alternate will be required, in all cases I can think of. For a twin engine aircraft, the departure alternate must be within 1 hour of the departure airport at single engine cruise. The departure alternate must meet the standard alternate 1-2-3 rules in order to be filed as the alternate. Once en route to the alternate, standard approach minimums apply.

Back when I was building a little multi time in a Beech Jet I did the King Schools online RVSM training thing and for which I received an endorsement. It was quite expensive and not really worth it but I did receive a few PDF files of checklists, quick reference, and radio protocol in case of negative RVSM etc.

If anyone wants to take a look at those PDF files I could attach to an email.
Doh!!. Stupid is a stupid does. RVR not RVSM. Well anyway if anyone wants those PDFs let me know.

..Try not to give smart answers please. Thanks
Looks like I've got that one covered.

Last edited:
Uncle bunkle....that was pretty funny...not helpful though...preparing for an eagle interview....so needed to understand this. Thanks

RVR - Runway visual range. A Transmissometer measures the impeadance in the light flow from particulate in the air, and from that it can accurately determine the visibility in feet at that given station. There are typically 3 RVR stations along an RVR runway, one at the approach end, one midfield, and one at the departure end. In order to conduct a a 6-6-6 takeoff, you must have adequate visual reference to the runway, the runway centerline lights must be on, and serviceable runway centerline markings. 2 of the 3 RVR stations must be reporting at least 600 ft RVR.

A departure alternate will be required, in all cases I can think of. For a twin engine aircraft, the departure alternate must be within 1 hour of the departure airport at single engine cruise. The departure alternate must meet the standard alternate 1-2-3 rules in order to be filed as the alternate. Once en route to the alternate, standard approach minimums apply.

Good explanation. Have to correct one thing though. The departure alternate must meet published or dirived, if you have the op spec for it, altn mins. The 1-2-3 rule is only to see if a destination altn is requiered by the far's.

Here ya go!!!

TDZ MID ROLL RVR 600/600/600
TDZ and ROL are controlling

If one of the 3 RVR reporting systems has failed, a T/O is authorized, provided the remaining 2 RVR values are at or above the appropriate T/O minimums listed below.

Authorized:
600/600/600 + CL + RCLM
MM/600/600 + CL + RCLM (only 2 required – must be at or above 600)
600/MM/600 + CL + RCLM (only 2 required – must be at or above 600)
600/600/MM + CL + RCLM (only 2 required – must be at or above 600)

NOT Authorized:
600/MM/500 + CL + RCLM (RVR<600)
MM/500/600 + CL + RCLM (RVR<600)
600/500/600 + CL + RCLM (RVR<600)
500/600/600 + CL + RCLM (RVR<600)

Where only two transmissometers are installed, the touchdown and rollout RVR's are required and are controlling.

If three transmissometers are installed, all are controlling and the failure of any one transmissometer will not affect operations provided the remaining two RVR values are at or above appropriate minimums.

For 600 RVR you need ALL three RVR sensor readings
(except that if one is broken you can use any of the other two)

They all/both need to be at or above 600 RVR to takeoff and you need BOTH CL and RCLM to takeoff.

If they are covered with snow its a no go.

If any of the RVR readings are below 600 its a no go.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back