Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

328dude

Still turning two
Still trying to decide between the tip up and slider canopy for my RV-9. Anyone have any input?

Thanks in advance

Pat:

Thanks for the info. The RV-9 is not aerobatic so I don't have to worry about a chute. LOL

I am leaning toward the tip-up since I will need all the access I can behind the panel for the panel I plan on installing. However, I hear that it is prone to damage from a wind gust or jet blast on the ramp. Have you heard this?

Thanks again for the reply.

Getting ready to start the wings but I'm ordering the fuselage as well. Want to have everything in my hanger so I can finish it.

Not sure about golf clubs in an 8, but saw someone have a modified baggage compartment in a 9 in Dallas that fit two. I've talked to him about it and he says it works great, but does require some modification of the floor behind the seats. He has offered to drive up and help when I get to it. Be nice to have someone buck rivots with me for a change. LOL

As far as the panel goes, I'm installing an engine monitoring system from, http://www.advanced-control-systems.com/?source=rvproject.comm

Still trying to decide on the flight instruments but I think I'm going to go with this EFIS by http://www.bluemountainavionics.com/e1main.php. The processor box though is an issue because most installations are behind the seat's, but It wont fit if I do the golf club modification. So I've heard.

The last thing I'm going to buy is the engine. Was thinking about buying a used rebuilt, but will probably just buy one from Vans. Going to go with a fixed pitch to cut down on the weight also.

Now, I think the golf clubs are more important, so if I need to go with a standard six pack, I will rather than leave my clubs behind. Still shopping for a avionics. Garmin has nice stuff, but pricey.

Last edited:
With the slider canopy you still don't lose any aft panel access so long as you plan for it when building, before the forward bow and windscreen panel is installed. You can make an easily removable panel with camlocks that allows access to your avionics, and providing your instrument panel with rails to slide out will give you all the access you might desire. You can also improve your ability to work behind the panel by making your instrument panel face sectional; only needing to slide out one part at a time greatly simplifies your work back there.

I have seen his site before and that is one amazing airplane. I am going to go full IFR, since I do plan on using it for some rather long X countrys and possibly for some of my commutes to work. Is that a paint job on his RV-8 or did he go with vinyl for the graphics? Either way, nice plane. You planning on going to OSH this year?

Avbug: I was looking at the drawings for the panel and I think I know what your getting at. You don't know someone who has done this do you? I'd like to email them about how they went about it and how they installed the rails. Sure would like a example.

I'm not an RV builder, but for what it's worth, a friend of mine is building an RV of some sort (his second) and he has the tip up canopy. He has since found out that the tip up canopy has lots of problems with leaking around the canopy hinges. The flush hinge design leaves openings which are almost impossible to seal. If you fly on nice days only and keep it in a hangar, it's probably not much of a concern, but here it rains quite a bit, and very few people have hangars.

Last edited:
I don't have a link or a number for slide out panels, but the design is simple. There are several ways you can do it. One very simple method is hinging the bottom of the panel, and allowing the entire panel to swing out to gain access to instruments and wiring. You can make the panel in sections in order to do this, and have one section at a time swing out. Secure the top of the panel with any type of fastener; if you plan on working back there a lot, use camlocs.

Alternately, you can use rails or roller assemblies and tracks to slide the panel straight out. It's easiest if this is done in sections. You can make tracks using aluminum angle, and support each panel section on roller bearing tracks straight off the shelf at a cabinetry shop.

I'm still in the empenage state of my RV-6, which unfortunately is stuck in a storage locker far from me for the time being...but I'll probably sectionalize the panel and make it a slideout. In either case, tip-out or slide-out, allow enough hose and wiring to make it work. Too many panel installations use the bare minimum amount of wiring and then tie off the slack. When I do panel work or change an instrument, I always carry medical forceps to capture the wiring when I take off a cannon plug or lead, so it doesn't disappear back into the panel and get lost forever. This shouldn't be necessary; I should be able to withdraw the radio or instrument or gauge or switch, and have enough wiring to bring it out and clear of the panel.

Too often folks installing the equipment don't give much thought to those who will eventually need to work on it.

Latest resources

Back