Rumored TSA "NEW" SD

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

side stick-n

Anyone else heard of the "rumored" new TSA Securty Directive affecting all of us commuting pilots?

Supposedly, last week the TSA passed a new "law" requiring any jumpseating pilot to obtain a gate / boarding pass prior to passing through the security checkpoint at any airport or terminal that the jumpseaters airline does not operate from. This will affect ALL offline jumpseaters unless your airline happens to fly from the same terminal. Just one more example of the TSA making our lives more difficult.

Unfortunately it is not a rumor. I guess if an airline doesn't operate at an airport they feel that the people working for TSA won't be able to identify it. My question is what happens if an airline is doing a charter or diverts to an airport that they don't operate at. I guess it is time to try & get a universal ID badge for flight crews.

Oh boo hoo, the TSA is making your life miserable. The whole purpose of the TSA is to try and protect you (and your pax). Yes there are problems and yes pilots still have to be screened and may even have to take off metal if they alarm the metal detector...oh no, how terrible, what a hassle, it's all TSA's fault! Guess what? Prior to TSA taking over do you remember what happened when you alarmed the metal detector?...you had to take the metal off also (those jerks were just trying to make your life miserable also).

Its easy, no metal=no alarm, no alarm=no search...hmmm I think I can handle that. Take your metal off and you shouldn't have a problem at the checkpoint.

As far as the new Security Directive, there were some new ones that came out last week dealing with cargo security. I am not aware of any that say what you claim...but I will check Monday and see.

No alarm = no search???!!!???

Now if things only worked that way!!!!

The problems is TSA is still just window dressing and now really checking the people it sould be...ie still harrasing crew members. You must not commute very much Flydaplane.

Flydaplane,

Where in my original post did I even mention metal? That's right, NO WHERE! The post was intended to assist those that commute. Unless you have something constructive to add, maybe you should just Flydaplane.

Now for those of you that ARE interested, below is an excerpt from the latest email from our jumpseat coordinator.

From the TSA web site:

“Boarding Pass and Photo ID Required To Get to Your Gate

In TSA's on-going commitment to enhance security and improve customer service TSA is consolidating passenger screening to the passenger security checkpoints. Selectee and most random searches will now be conducted at the checkpoints where TSA staff and screening equipment are concentrated.

To access these new checkpoints you will be required to present a BOARDING PASS and PHOTO IDENTIFICATION. Tickets and ticket confirmations (such as a travel agent or airline itineraries) will no longer be accepted at these checkpoints.”

That is the general security screening requirements. To find how this effect employees you need to have access to the latest security directive which unless you have privileged access, is imposable to get a hold of. Thanks to someone who has that privilege, here’s what the directive has to say regarding employees:

“Directive 1544-01-10X 11-17-03

III. Screening Checkpoint

C.

2. Aircraft operator and airport operator employees:

a. Aircraft operator employees presenting a valid aircraft operator employee ID of the aircraft operator serving that airport are not required to possess a boarding pass at the checkpoint.”

If your airline doesn’t fly there you’ll need to stop at the ticket counter and get a boarding/jumpseat pass. Note that the directive would indicate that if your airline serves that airport you do not need a boarding pass. So the way I read it, technically you do not need a boarding pass at any other terminal at JFK, for instance terminal 7 and 9 which have required a boarding pass previously.

If you wish to express your opinion, send your comments to:

The Honorable James M. Loy

Administrator of the Transportation Security Administration

Department of Homeland Security
Washington, D.C. 20528

END QUOTE

Now here is the stupid part. At a certain airport I can't go through security without a boarding pass or jumpseat form. So not to beaten so easily, I reach into my computer bag and pull out a BLANK jumpseat form and now I am magically able to proceed through security. Jeez....I still dont get it.....

Flydaplane said:
Oh boo hoo, the TSA is making your life miserable. The whole purpose of the TSA is to try and protect you (and your pax).
Flydaplane, what planet have you been living on since 9/10/01? The TSA is political window dressing. The only difference between them and Argenbright is (1) more of them are white, and (2) they smile more.

Hasseling commuting airline pilots is not protecting us from terrorists.

Typhoon1244 said:
The only difference between them and Argenbright is more of them are white.

Okay, leave it to a liberal to notice race.

Agreed on the TSA being political; it was all political. The biggest mistake was to bow to Democratic demands to federalize this whole mess just to create another several ten thousand democratic voters beholden to them. Now these white-shirted (as opposed to brown-shirted Gestapo thugs) goons have Federal powers to arrest and harass but are charging the airlines for their bloated bureaucracy and total incompetence.

Thousands Standing Around are not making me safer. They have taken away my screwdriver so I can't open the overhead panel and put out a potential fire there. (Hey, it's happened.) They have taken away my miniature Allen wrenches so loose knobs can't be tightened (like I don't need knobs to dial things in for safety of flight), and they have taken my Swiss army penknife away that served me safely for a dozen years.

Now if a pilot is trying to get to work on another carrier and his doesn't serve the airport he's using here's another hurtle they're putting in your way. The plain fact is that they don't know if a pilot is a pilot. They can make sure a pilot doesn't have a screwdriver, Allen wrenches or a Swiss army knife on his body or kitbag, but they can't tell if he's the one that ought to lock himself behind the cockpit door with the crash axe and tens of thousands of pounds of metal and jet fuel at his control.

News flash: remember Egyptian Air? How about Fed Ex’s Auburn Calloway? What draconian measures are you willing to endure to make sure you, your Captain/First Officer/#1 Flight Attendant (they sit in the cockpit on rest room breaks) are really safe and not out to kill you?

Biometrics isn’t the answer either. So I get a card with so-and-so's name on it, and I put my own biometrics on it. Now I'm him. Anything can be forged until they start implanting something scan-able in your body. Now there's a chilling thought.

This whole TSA thing is a joke. Mouthing peace and safety, they'll march a whole totalitarian regime in and everyone will go to those institutions that will deny them basic freedom and liberty because of the threat of terrorism (combining 1 Th 5:3 with Federalist Paper #8). Ben Franklin had it right.

Look for terrorists, not pen knifes, lighters, knitting needles, medals of honor, or flashlights.

Any questions?

Originally posted by Flydaplane

Oh boo hoo, the TSA is making your life miserable. The whole purpose of the TSA is to try and protect you (and your pax)

Congratulations to "I Flyduhplane", this week's Village Idiot.

Requiring a boarding pass from a commuting airline pilot does not enhance safety.

The whole reason that TSA rquires passengers to have a boarding pass to go to the gate is to keep non-passengers from clogging up security - ie to say goodbye or meet an arriving flight.

The reason many people complain about TSA is because some of the procedures they use lack common sense and create wholly avoidable hassles for flight crew.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back