• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DesertFalcon

Member since 1999
Hi, Everyone...

This post is for all of you who know Mike Pappas, of Flight Crew Systems, in Carlsbad, California.

I heard from a good souce that Mike Pappas has had a massive stroke and is now unable to recognize anyone he knew.

The story told to me was, Mike was not feeling well and his wife called the Paramedics as a precaution. After the Paramedics showed up he seemed to feel better.... As a precaution the Paramedics took Mike to the hospital.

Appearently, Mike's blood pressure was extremely low. Next, Mike had a heart attack.... after the attack blood clots travelled thru his body to his brain, causing a massive stroke.

I have not taken time to verify this story yet.
Do any of you have contact with Mike's friends?
Can anyone verify this story?

I am shocked that a guy in his early 40's could have such a massive stroke. If true, Mike's career as a pilot is over!

I pray that his family and friends are protected and comforted. I pray that Mike can recover and someday resume his flight career.

If, you believe in the power of prayer... Please say a prayer for Mike!

My condolences to Mike's family and friends.... He's a good guy and will always remain so, in my mind.

God Bless you Mike!

Last edited:
Mike Pappas

If true, this is very upsetting news. I obtained my Citation type and SE ATP with Mike in 1990 when he was Professional Airline Systems. Training with Mike was one of the best times and positive experiences I had in aviation, and the major reason I have recommended him. I maintained contact with Mike for a few years thereafter. He was a great confidant.

Mike Pappas is one of the few true gentlemen and good guys I met in aviation. My thoughts are with him and his family.

Last edited:
No matter how much my opinion of the fellow differs from the above poster, no one deserves that fate.

Anyone know what hospital he's in so those that know him can send their regards?

I guess the rumor is true. I just spoke with a gentleman who is starting up a type rating school to help fill the void. He visited Mike and said it doesn't look too good. All second hand info, hope it helps those that know Mike and want more info.

Any updates or new info? I just saw this thread and it really hit home. I took quite a few checkrides with him and just spoke to him a few months ago. I'm really hoping this isn't true..........he is a great guy and an asset to aviation and the community. He really taught me alot over the years.

Man that just really ruined my day. If anybody has a address to send a card besides the FCS address let me know.

Thanks,
S.H.

I found this thread by mistake, but I must say I'm shocked. I got my PPL 2 years ago with Mike. I found him to be a really nice guy. (He also gave me my one and only pinkslip) At the time, he had just retired from Delta, he was doing L1011 runs to Hawaii. He took a long time to drive home how important it is to invest and be careful about your retirement. Even more sad that he won't be able to enjoy his.

English said:
I guess the rumor is true. I just spoke with a gentleman who is starting up a type rating school to help fill the void. He visited Mike and said it doesn't look too good. All second hand info, hope it helps those that know Mike and want more info.
It's not a rumor anymore. According to Stuart Illian - the owner of FCS - Mike got a tear in his aorta and this lead to a stroke.

It doesn't look good.

Rumor: Mike Pappas

I heard this recently, as a rumor, from a pilot based at CRQ, but it was unconfirmed until now. It is one year ago exactly-9/19/03-since I got my CE-500 type with Mike. He also reinstated my CFI-AIM, during my Citation training, with a ride in his C-170. Because of instructor availability issues, Mike also did some of my training in the Citation, not just the checkride. He was quite good in that role. We were different personality types, but my professional experience with him was positive and I enjoyed flying with him. Is there an address for well-wishers to send something? If you prefer, you can send it to me in a private email.

This news is not good at all.

My thoughts and prayers go out to him and his entire family at such a trying time. Anyone know the hospital that he is at?.

3 5 0

Hate to hear this. Mike gave me my single engine commercial years ago. Pretty sure he is in his 50's though, not 40's.

You always wanted to start your oral out by asking Mike about his type ratings(g). Wish they could all go like that.

Hoping for the best - Checknsix

Latest resources

Back