Rules and History

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

tarp

The current thread "Cross Country Time" got me thinking about the other rule I love to have fun with (91.205).

For my advanced and anal retentive students I ask this question:

You go to an FBO and he has 4 Cessna 172's available, a 1968, a 1978, a 1988 and a 1998 model. What differences (legally) are there in your pre-flight of each of these airplanes?

(* Yes, I know, Cessna probably didn't make a C-172 in one of these years, but its a hypothetical question anyway!)

So, can you do it without looking at the reg? Hint, the rules changes were 1971, 1978, 1986 and 1996.

I'm betting that the change for the '78 model was shoulder harnesses. I took my CFI that year. I advised the examiner to put his shoulder harness on since it was now required. He said "No, it's not." I pulled my government printed FAR's out in a 3-ring binder from the back and showed him the provision that he needed to wear it unless it interfered with his duties. He grumbled and put it on. I felt that I either had the ride made or was already busted by then. (He signed my certificate.)

Too boring huh?

1971 - Need aviation red or white beacon/strobe for night ops.
1978 - Aircraft manufactured after July need shoulder harness for front seat occupants.
1986 - Aircraft manufactured after Dec 12 need shoulder harness for all seat positions if aircraft has less than 9 seats.
1996 - Aviation red or white beacon/strobes must be available and used for day ops.

Latest resources

Back