• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Routine?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Only a few aircraft are certified for reverser deployment in flight. If the aircraft in question is certified, then yes, that would be normal ops. But for all multi-engine jets? Nope.

The Avro RJ85 and BAE 146 deploy the air brake (split the tail) at 100 ft AGL. This is standard ops to assist in bleeding airspeed in the flare. The Reverse thrust in this case may do about the same thing.

I bet the engines are initially at idle thrust with the reversers deployed until there is rubber on pavement.

If I understand correctly the Cessna CJ1 and CJ2 have thrust attenuators that are deployable in flight. This is due to the flight idle being set high to allow quick spool up to go-around power. Maybe there is something like that going on.

Of course, I am not a IL-62, CJ1 or CJ2 driver, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I also don't fly the Russian stuff, but...

...I gotta say, I think it's a little bit of a cowboy technique to use reverse thrust before the mains touchdown.

(Disclaimer: I didn't wait for the entire picture to load. Is it true the airplane was still airborne?)

Second point, if a four engine airplane has a thrust reverser deferred for maintenance then it's perfectly acceptable to "reverse symmetrically" in the interest of directional control (everything else being equal).

But I agree it looks like only the outboards have TRs installed.

It's just a weird photo in every respect.
Very Russian.

The 747 and DC-8-60 series can reverse the inboard engines in flight. Most operators seem to frown on the technique though--it's rough on the engine mounts and can lead to premature cracking.

I've seen a DC-9 land after a hard bounce with the reversers deployed. He must've had them armed to deploy on contact, which they did, along with the spoilers. In the mean time he bounced back up about 10'. The second touchdown was most impressive. :)

No offense intended comrade!

You know, I meant 'weird' in a *good* way.

Like, um, different, unique, unusual, interesting.

Yes, it's very interesting! :cool:

Kawasumi_Kichou said:
I've seen a DC-9 land after a hard bounce with the reversers deployed. He must've had them armed to deploy on contact :)

The reversers are pilot-operated on the DC9...they cannot be "armed to deploy on contact...". One can only speculate about what you saw, and the reasons for it. Once the spoilers come up, the DC9 is finished flying. The reversers were normally deployed at MLG contact. A skip was rare after that, but usually had embarrassing results. Never happen to me...of course...

yea, the pic is very slow right now, what with all the flight info traffic..
but the mains are good 6 or 7 feet of the ground it seems, with the outboards clam shells deployed

Latest resources

Back