ROTC question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LearLove

If a student gets an ROTC scholarship and goes to a college with an aviation program/major does the scholarship cover both tuition and flight training or just tuition?

Last edited:
If a student gets an ROTC scholarship and goes to a college with an aviation program/major does the scholarship cover both tuition and flight training or just tuition?

The military services have their own flight schools (remember?). ;)

They don't give ROTC scholarships to aviation majors. Typically, the most desirable majors are technically oriented (Engineering, etc.). A very small number of scholarships are offered to non-technical majors. It all depends on what the service needs.
Here's a link to the list:
http://afrotc.com/scholarships/high-school/schools-and-majors/

A few months ago, the AF was offering non-competition full ride scholarships to anyone who was accepted to a college with ROTC and committed to major in Computer or Electrical Engineering and Meteorology (don't know if that's still the case).

I seem to remember some of the guys with pilot slots in my AF ROTC detachment getting their PPL on Uncle Sam. That was viewed as an alternative to sending them to the flight screening program prior to UPT. That was back in the mid-80s when Reagan was giving the mil boo-coo dollars. I don't know if that's still an option now.

The military services have their own flight schools (remember?). ;)

They don't give ROTC scholarships to aviation majors. Typically, the most desirable majors are technically oriented (Engineering, etc.). A very small number of scholarships are offered to non-technical majors. It all depends on what the service needs.
Here's a link to the list:
http://afrotc.com/scholarships/high-school/schools-and-majors/

A few months ago, the AF was offering non-competition full ride scholarships to anyone who was accepted to a college with ROTC and committed to major in Computer or Electrical Engineering and Meteorology (don't know if that's still the case).

I seem to remember some of the guys with pilot slots in my AF ROTC detachment getting their PPL on Uncle Sam. That was viewed as an alternative to sending them to the flight screening program prior to UPT. That was back in the mid-80s when Reagan was giving the mil boo-coo dollars. I don't know if that's still an option now.

The Navy gave scholarships to aviation majors, or at least they did back in the 90s. I had one, and they paid for the flight training because they were required courses.

The Navy gave scholarships to aviation majors, or at least they did back in the 90s. I had one, and they paid for the flight training because they were required courses.
Did you have to do the two years of college math, a year of college physics and Chemistry? That was mandatory when my granddaughter was offered a NROTC scholarship four years ago.

Did you have to do the two years of college math, a year of college physics and Chemistry? That was mandatory when my granddaughter was offered a NROTC scholarship four years ago.

yes, 2 years of math including calculus, and physics. (all of those were required in the aviation program also)

Latest resources

Back